Operation Mindcrime: The Movie ?

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Interesting...

From Blabbermouth:

MTV.com is reporting that QUEENSRŸCHE's 1988 conceptual masterpiece, "Operation: Mindcrime", will be getting the big-screen treatment, according to frontman Geoff Tate. He said the band has hired a screenwriter to adapt the LP into a feature film, and that they're in the midst of shopping it to Hollywood studios. "I worked over the last year and a half with a Hollywood screenwriter named Mark Shepherd," Tate said. "He developed a screenplay out of the story. It's incredible; I hope that it can be made into a movie soon. Our agency is shopping it around Hollywood. I think it's going to be an incredibly powerful film. It starts with one part, and then we have plans for a sequel as well." The band's latest disc, "Operation: Mindcrime II", hit stores this week.

they have plans for a sequel to a film they have not made, based on an album that is so epic in proportion Peter Jackson would be scared of it. this sounds like a catastrophe to me... can you all say OM2 on screen? torturing 1 of 5 senses is bad enough

Kenneth R. said:
they have plans for a sequel to a film they have not made, based on an album that is so epic in proportion Peter Jackson would be scared of it. this sounds like a catastrophe to me... can you all say OM2 on screen? torturing 1 of 5 senses is bad enough

I think that O:M number one would be relatively easy and inexpensive to film. I still have yet to hear the second one, and from the way I hear people talking about it, it'll probably be a long time before I do.

oh OM1 would make a good movie. something along the lines of the recent V for Vendetta. however, Tate says they plan a sequel (OM2, duh...) and that only means that 1. the first one will have a shit ending or no ending and 2. the release of the second one will kill it completely

Kenneth R. said:
oh OM1 would make a good movie. something along the lines of the recent V for Vendetta. however, Tate says they plan a sequel (OM2, duh...) and that only means that 1. the first one will have a shit ending or no ending and 2. the release of the second one will kill it completely

I have to ask - what is the storyline for O:M 2?

Interestingly, I was thinking about V FOR VENDETTA when I wrote my comment above.

Kenneth R. said:
i think if i told you, you'd wish i didn't.

No, I'd love to know, especially if it is that horrible. I'd love to have a couple of chuckles.

Kenneth R. said:
Tate says they plan a sequel (OM2, duh...) and that only means that 1. the first one will have a shit ending or no ending

The "shit ending or no ending" isn't necessarily a death sentence in terms of box office success. Kill Bill, Star Wars, LOTR, and the current Harry Potter films come to mind.

Unfortunately, I don't see QR being able to generate enough interest with this to break even with a film venture, much less make a buck or two.

Those of us who love the original release would definitely show up on opening day -- but could QR get anyone else to care?

LunaTEKKE said:
Unfortunately, I don't see QR being able to generate enough interest with this to break even with a film venture, much less make a buck or two.

Those of us who love the original release would definitely show up on opening day -- but could QR get anyone else to care?

So you are suggesting that QR doesn’t have enough fans to support their film ?

LunaTEKKE said:

If the idea is picked up by a major studio, it wouldn't be Queensryche's responsibility to get people to care... it would be the job of the studio. And what the studio should do is get Hollywood actors that are at least somewhat known to play Nikki and Mary, and should market it as what it is, a political thriller / drama / love story... not as "The Queensryche Movie". Sure, it would say "based on Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche" in the opening credits, and would probably have "Eyes Of A Stranger" playing over the closing credits, but the commercials and trailers should focus on what the movie is about, not the fact that it is based on an album. Even if the title of the movie is "Operation: Mindcrime", it would be very unwise to make the Queensryche the focus of the marketing... those who are Queensryche fans will know, but for those who aren't, you simply want to present the idea that this is a good dramatic movie, regardless of whether someone is familiar with the album it's based on.

I think it would be awesome if the movie was a musical, but as with the film version of TOMMY, re-do the original songs with guest singers and bands and maybe some new songs. But don't advertise it as a musical. That way on opening night, people would just show up and in the middle of some terse scene, people would break out into a song about shooting people or something.

We're talkin' cult film in the making.

Nemesis_lxix said:
So you are suggesting that QR doesn’t have enough fans to support their film ?

Considering the cost to get a major theatrical release produced and distributed, yes. Even though a lot of folks (myself included) would go multiple times, I still think it would be a money-losing venture.

Direct-to-video, which was mentioned in another post, would probably be a viable option, though.

Another post mentioned the option of getting a major studio to pick the film up and promote it properly. But QR would have to ask themselves how much creative control they are willing to give up in exchange for some marketing muscle. I just can't see a major studio keeping the storyline intact.

LunaTEKKE said:
Considering the cost to get a major theatrical release produced and distributed, yes. Even though a lot of folks (myself included) would go multiple times, I still think it would be a money-losing venture.

You just have to look at the numbers here... and, since the cost of recording an album and the cost of filming a movie differ greatly, the numbers work out differently. For example... if a band sells 1 million albums, that's considered great. However, if a movie sells 1 million tickets, that amounts to perhaps $8 million... a very poor showing for a wide-released theatrical movie with even a modest budget. To become profitable, a theatrically-released movie simply needs more widespread appeal than an album. This was borne out by the Kiss movie from 5 - 6 years ago. After they reunited, their new album sold well, their tour sold well, then they brought out a movie which was basically sold as "The Kiss Movie"... and it was a theatrical flop. Even with lots of rabid Kiss fans running out and seeing it multiple times.

Now, Queensryche isn't as commercially popular as Kiss to begin with... so even with repeat movie-viewers, there's no way this is going to be a viable film project if you produce and market it as "The Queensryche Movie", and target only Queensryche fans as the audience. If a studio picks this up, it has to be made as a regular movie, with decent actors, and confidently marketed as a dark, dramatic, political, romantic thriller... not focusing on the Queensryche connection at all in the advertising materials. The plot does inherently have commercial viability, and if the movie is made well, and marketed properly, it can be successful at the box office.

LunaTEKKE said:
Direct-to-video, which was mentioned in another post, would probably be a viable option, though.

Unlikely. This severely limits the potential mass-appeal of the film, which means one of two things: Since this will be a somewhat complex film to make, going direct-to-video means that either they will have to lower the budget to the point that it will seriously affect the quality or commercial appeal of the movie (i.e., they couldn't hire recognizable actors), or they will fail to lower the budget enough, and wind up spending far more than they could ever recoup on a direct-to-video title.

LunaTEKKE said:
Another post mentioned the option of getting a major studio to pick the film up and promote it properly. But QR would have to ask themselves how much creative control they are willing to give up in exchange for some marketing muscle. I just can't see a major studio keeping the storyline intact.

This all depends on what sort of deal can be worked out by the guy who they hired to pitch the script to studios. I can see why you would be suspicious about a film studio's commitment to keeping a film as close as possible to the source material, given all the books that have been completely mauled when turned into movies. However, there is one key difference here... books are long. If you tried to make an exact movie version of a 300 page novel, you'd have a 43 hour movie.

Operation: Mindcrime, on the other hand, is nowhere near as long or detailed as a book. It's just under 1 hour long... and remember, first and foremost, it's an album of rock music. That means there are a lot of sections with no lyrics, a lot of repeated chorus lyrics, a lot of jumps in the storyline between different songs. There is perhaps a total of 20 minutes of storyline progression in there. There are lots of story elements which are simply not covered within the lyrics of the album. It would simply have been impossible. So as opposed to cutting stuff out (and therefore changing it) like they do in a film adaptation of a book, this situation presents the exact opposite: a lot of flexibility for a good screenwriter to *add* details (instead of cutting them out) and to flesh out the existing (short) storyline.

As I said before... the film would have a "story by Queensryche" mention in the credits, and would probably have "Eyes Of A Stranger" playing over the closing credits, but that's all the blatant Queensryche connections that should be used. The fans will already know about the connection, so you don't need to advertise the fact to them, and non-Queensryche-fans don't care about the connection (they just want to see a good movie), so you don't need to advertise it to them. And again, the storyline is inherently a viable one for a movie. So if this movie is picked up by a studio, and produced and marketed correctly, I believe it can stand a solid chance of becoming a successful and profitable movie.

Sumeet said:
So as opposed to cutting stuff out (and therefore changing it) like they do in a film adaptation of a book, this situation presents the exact opposite: a lot of flexibility for a good screenwriter to *add* details (instead of cutting them out) and to flesh out the existing (short) storyline.

I understand that plotlines have to be condensed when stories are adapted to film, so that doesn’t bother me too much (as long as the original story still makes sense). I also don’t mind the addition of backstory – as long as it remains true to the original concept.

What would concern me about a major studio taking on the Mindcrime project is that unless QR retained complete creative control, we would probably end up with a corrupted version of the story to up the “feel-good” factor at the end of the film.

For example, a Hollywood-ized version of the ending would probably leave the audience feeling that the act of revenge sets the world completely right again – which is completely contrary to the point of OM2. (Or even worse, there’s the “it was all a bad dream” option…) :ill: