Opeth 2004-02-27 Blanks and Postage offer

gloco said:
I was right behind the board, off to the right a little. It wasn't the best spot for sure. I'm sure the dymanics suffered because of that spot, but the sound at the venue itself was pretty damn shitty.
Yeah, if you're behind the board, you're under the balcony overhang at Irving, and the sound is not going to be good. Irving actually has really good sound, just not where you were. You absolutely have to be out from under the balcony, or in the front row of the balcony itself, which of course takes some serious effort to do so.

markgugs said:
Yeah, if you're behind the board, you're under the balcony overhang at Irving, and the sound is not going to be good. Irving actually has really good sound, just not where you were. You absolutely have to be out from under the balcony, or in the front row of the balcony itself, which of course takes some serious effort to do so.

I was actually on the balcony, right behind the board, first row against the railing. So, there's very little crowd noise during songs, but the sound generally that night wasn't that good. I've heard a lot better from other bands. Let me know if you want to trade though, always curious to see what another taper thinks :)

gloco said:
I was actually on the balcony, right behind the board, first row against the railing. So, there's very little crowd noise during songs, but the sound generally that night wasn't that good. I've heard a lot better from other bands. Let me know if you want to trade though, always curious to see what another taper thinks :)
Yeah, I was disappointed with the sound as well. But I'd really want to look back on it in retrospect. So just in case:

Miester_V@yahoo.com

gloco said:
Sure thing, I'd be curious to hear the same thing about your opinions on my recording. Because honestly, from where I was standing, the sound was crystal clear and full of warmth. No one instrument dominated over the other. Very little crowd noise (with the exception obviously of between songs and slightly during "In My Time Of Need"), probably because I had the mic poking out the top of my hat and I'm about 6 foot tall, so it was capturing the sound right above most people's heads.

Hey, what type of mics did you use? I know you have Sound Pros, but are they binaural or cardioids? The range & different sound spectrum of each mic make a world of difference, but I'm sure you already knew that. :)

gloco,

Thanks for taping and sharing! Nice job, the show sounds great! I grabbed your Opeth and Moonspell shows on the newsgroup. Opeth is also being seeded on Sharingthegroove, so your stuff is spreading like wildfire!

Mark, I'm looking forward to hearing yours, too!

Hey Jeff, didn't know you came 'round these parts...you should come over to the Royal Carnage forum and stick around there. Great group of fellas and the um, occasional lady. :)

I haven't seen Zoltan around of late, but as soon as we hook up, he'll have my show for STG as well.

markgugs said:
Hey man, what are you taping this Saturday? I'm not recording anything until Testament & Vital Remains in like 2 weeks or so.

It's the pop/rock band "better than ezra," they always put on a good show and tend to sound kick ass too. Can't wait to tape them.

markgugs said:
Heh, I saw Better Than Ezra at New Orleans Jazzfest 1997 (they're from N'awlins). It was fun drunk music. Where's the show? Irving?

Ah yes, i caught them last Saturday, great fucking show, very high energy setlist...of course i taped it, came out pretty good. Great venue for sneaking gear in i tell ya.