Opeth article in the Village Voice (NYC)

What an article! The best analysis of the genre ever!!

If they start doing more reviews like this, I will be the first one to order their magazine (or whatever it is - I haven't ever heard about "Village Voice" before)!

-Villain

It's strange to me that the first half of the article is giving some intelliectual analysis of blackmetal. I am one of those people who don't think Opeth ever have been blackmetal, at all. Some will disagree, but blackmetal is founded on satanism - Opeth doesn't have this. And beyond that, musically Opeth haven't been ever been _blackmetal_.

Altho the term blackmetal is thrown around like hell, (nearly any band seems to be called this from some individuals) I'm not too impressed by an article which feels Opeth is related enough to this genre to write an enormous part of the article on it. Ah well, good otherwise :p

Originally posted by gotham
Two things strange about the Voice doing a story on Opeth:

1. The Voice never mentions metal except to give a snide preview of an upcoming show. The only metalish article that I remember there was an album review of How to measure a planet by the Gathering in 1999.
2. The article comes out two weeks after the band comes to town. Great timing....

Still, could this mean that the band has a chance of hitting the "big time" in this country? Probably not, based on one Voice article, but it should bring the band some new fans.

Opeth have been getting bigger and bigger as the days progress , i've been reading one of my guitar magazines and almost had a heart attack when i seen Shadows Fall in it , but then stumble across a band like opeth in guitar world , thats crazy , I've seen them on some various artist cd , but they left out the distorted part of the song , they are on the metal maniacs cover and about 10 other pages in the book . our opeth is not only our opeth anymore , i've seen hotlists on napster with all shit like korn and then stuff like opeth will show up there , I think to myself , if somebody is intelligent enough to understand opeth than there smart enough to not listen to korn , but hey maybe there just tryin to fit in with us metalheads .

I would hate to go to school and see all the korn freaks wearing opeth shirts , opeth is our band . if you listen to korn you don't deserve to listen to a power such as opeth , at least people should have better sense not to listen to korn , after listening to opeth that is , anyway i feel like i'm repeating myself so , i'm gonna shut up

I can't honestly say that I'm a very big fan of black metal, it tends to lack the dynamics that provide unity and emphasis in other forms of music. That being said, I must also wonder why Opeth is continously cast as being a black metal band.
On the UK re-release of Morningrise there is a track recorded in 1992, and while definitely not like modern day Opeth, I would say structurally and stylistically 'Eternal Soul Torture' is still a far cry from being black metal. Perhaps, it was in the beginning that Opeth first found acceptance among black metallers.
Which I guess leads me to ask what is black metal, or for that matter, what constitutes any of the sub-genres?
I feel that metal is one of the most liberating forms of music, enabling artists to borrow not just from different sub-genres, but from entirely differents styles, such as folk, techno or traditional music (albeit not always to the greatest of successes). Bands can pick and choose what elements from which they will comprise their music.
Therefore classifying metal into sub-genres must be on a strictly opinion driven basis. Because of its diversity and dynamic structure, I find it difficult to class Opeth with any particular group of bands. For some reason I think of Opeth belonging to an elite super-genre along with Kyuss, and a few other bands that have managed to defy the common practice of classification.
Reading the article I'm not so convinced that the author is much of a metalhead....maybe something more along the lines of he asked his girlfriend's metalhead brother for a history of blackmetal or something. I did laugh over his drawing a comparison with metal vocals and Cookie Monster, though.

np:Cthonic (Taiwanese metal~maybe someone who has heard them can tell me what sub-genre they belong to too.)

Originally posted by luke

I feel that metal is one of the most liberating forms of music, enabling artists to borrow not just from different sub-genres, but from entirely differents styles, such as folk, techno or traditional music (albeit not always to the greatest of successes). Bands can pick and choose what elements from which they will comprise their music.......

np:Cthonic (Taiwanese metal~maybe someone who has heard them can tell me what sub-genre they belong to too.)

Hey man, great post, well articulated and concise. Anyway, can you suggest some prog metal for my snobby ears? I'm looking for talented stuff in the vein of non-cheese so no dream theatre knock-offs or anything please. I'm really starting to think that Opeth are the only metal group that can hold my interest. I'm such snob, hahah..

Satori :)

I'd like to find some more non-cheese too. I'm just about as sick of this standard 'prog'-voice I've heard in most of the recommendations so far as I am of the standard synth-voice.

As far as good Prog goes, why don't you pick up albums by the bands that influenced Opeth like Camel and Porcupine Tree. Of course you could always go for some early Pink Floyd. Might I also suggest that all Opeth fans go back and listen to Voivod's Nothingface...

It is excellent to see a local publication that would normally ignore metal devote an article to it, and offer praise to Opeth. This also proves that they have made definite inroads into the American market, and have the chance to gain recognition outside of the metal press. Really, I think the growled vocal are the only remaining obstacle to full-blown cult status...by that I mean a strong following accompanied by sold-out shows and frequent glowing reviews from critics.

that's a pretty tall order there mate...
I have not yet come across a band that could be comparable to Opeth...
If you are looking for stimulating music I can recommend a few that have a hard time leaving my cd player. Kyuss-groovy desert rock, puts you in a real other state of mind. Government Mule-blues driven, definitely not metal, but good nonetheless.

When I was in Australia, I caught a couple of shows by the band 'Alchemist' and was quite impressed.
Gorefest's second to last album 'soul survivor' had a bit of a prog feel to it, but never made it onto my favourites list. You could try listening to Otis, or Sons of Otis, as I think they are now called. Not much speed to it, but a cool sound.
Another band, that is probably something more like my old man would listen to, is Steely Dan. Nowhere near metal, but if you put it on during sex, you can't help but feel just a little bit like Dirk Diggler.
:D
Can't say I really know your musical preferences, so it's hard to make a recommendation. If you wanted to check out Chthonic, try these sites. Sorry it's not much, but they're the only decent sites in English. Their Chinese name is 'shan ling' (means shining spirits) and in my own humble opinion they are at the top of the Asian Metal scene. I wouldn't give the guitarist any medals, but the traditional chinese instruments, and female vocalist make the band something special.
http://www.excelpro.com.hk/catalystaction/PRODUCT/slblack05.htm
http://www.excelpro.com.hk/indie_c/month/chthonic.html
The first album 'where the ancestors souls gathered' is an epic about the first mainlanders coming to Taiwan and conquering the aboriginals. Some of the songs are told from different perspectives (ie. from that of the aborigal's gods) but if you can't read chinese you will have a hard time understanding it. The new album, which I haven't yet heard, apparently has one english song on it. enjoy.

I agree that Opeth is not a black metal band. They never have been, nor do I think they ever will be. The faster, heavier songs on My Arms, Your Hearse do resemble black metal, but they also resemble death metal in equal parts. On Orchid and Morningrise, Mikael's harsh vocals were also more black metal oriented. As for the black metal influence in Opeth's music, I think a larger portion of it comes from Mikael being a Bathory fan. I would label Opeth as melodic/progressive death metal. Mikael even refers to Opeth as a death metal band.