Opeth - Dallas, TX House of Blues - October 15!!!

Jul 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Anyone else going? I'm really jazzed about going to this show. It will be my first time seeing Opeth and it's been literally YEARS since I've seen a really good concert. I've never been to the House of Blues before, so I have no idea what kind of venue it will be. And I've heard some pretty bad things around here about Baroness and High on Fire. But I'm going to try and keep an open mind about them during their sets. But I'd sit through a two hour monologue of someone reading the phone book outloud if it meant getting to see Opeth! Especially with this current lineup and setlist. Any possible sound issues aside, this is going to be a kick ass show!:headbang:

Who else will be there???

I will totally be there!!! My first concert at the house of blues but i have been there before ON BUSINESS not pleasure....I just moved to dallas about 3 weeks ago and this is my first concert in dallas....glad its opeth with high on fire opening....awesomeness

Oh come on, there has to be more than just us going. I've never been to a concert at the HOB either. I've heard conflicting reports about them as venues. Hopefully Dallas has one of the better ones (I prefer Nokia or the Starplex. Even though it's not called the Starplex anymore). Okay....eleven hours left. And I am getting NO work done today!!! I'm too busy getting all psyched up for the concert.

Anybody else planning on being there?

Oh and hey...welcome to Dallas, Texas Metal Head!!!!

I'll be there, I've saw porcupine tree at house of blues this time last year. It's a good venue, has great sound. Only bad thing is you can really feel the bass. Sound wise there's no problem, it sounds excellent. But you can really the feel bass when it hits.

I'll be there, I've saw porcupine tree at house of blues this time last year. It's a good venue, has great sound. Only bad thing is you can really feel the bass. Sound wise there's no problem, it sounds excellent. But you can really the feel bass when it hits.

Good to know! Like I said, I've heard mixed reviews about the sound at various other House of Blues. I SOOOO wish I could have seen PT. I can't believe that I've missed PT, Dream Theater and Rush all within the last year. But I was NOT going to let Opeth come without seeing them. That simply was NOT going to happen!

My take on Baroness and High on Fire:

Baroness played a good, strong set at the Pageant in St. Louis on Monday. Their music has more of a happier, major-key groove to it. Very good musicianship, and not particularly annoying to me.

High on Fire impressed me in that they created a shitload of sound for a three-piece band. I didn't like them quite as much as Baroness, but of course, Opeth made it all worthwhile!

Great concert! And an almost perfect setlist by Opeth. I have to say that I was pretty impressed by the venue. I've heard some bad comments about the sound in other House of Blues. But the sound during Opeth seemed to be pretty good (A little bass heavy, but that wasn't necesarilly a bad thing). I wasn't very impressed with Baroness, but that's probably because I wasn't familiar with any of their material beforehand. All of their songs just kinda merged into one long song. High on Fire seemed better...but again, I wasn't familiar with their material (Although I may check it out someday. Sounded promising). Opeth played a killer setlist. Same setlist as has been listed on these boards before...Heir Apparent, Grand Conjuration, Hope Leaves etc. Being as it was my first Opeth concert, I was blown away by getting to hear Deliverance, Drapery Falls and Bleak live as those are three of my favorites. GREAT concert!!! I love how the crowd went nuts during Bleak and Deliverance. I just hope they don't wait another three years to come back!!!

that was a pretty badass show. I came in when Baroness was almost finished, but from what I heard I liked. High on Fire was pretty good too, nothing too special. And Opeth killed. There was a lot of pushing and shoving where I was standing though, but I guess I wouldn't expect different from an Opeth show.
Anyone remember the setlist in order, I think I have most of the songs, I just don't remember the exact order.

Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration
Bleak
Deliverance
Hope Leaves
The Lotus Eater
Serenity Painted Death
The Night and the Silent Water
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls

Ya it was:

Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration
Serenity Painted Death
Hope Leaves
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
The Night and the Silent Water
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls

Demon of the Fall and some others are typically my favorites but I think the Lotus Eater, TNATSW, and Deliverance were the best performances.

I was pretty impressed with Baroness but not so much with High on Fire, personally. I was in the pushing/shoving section too but that was just a bit of extra fun though it sucked when some guy threw up, partially on my leg.

HAHAH I was right next to that guy too! He started to run out of the crowd with his throw-up hands covering his mouth and reached for me to move and I was out of the way in a heart beat

This show was fucking incredible though. My first time to see Opeth!!!!! (The 4 hour trip was WELL worth it) I was blown away. Baroness was a nice addition to the show. Reminded me of a cross between Isis and Mastodon. High on Fire sucked. Opeth was AMAZING. Great set-list! I was a little bit bummed at not seeing Mike's ass crack though XD

I was there with my wife. I was in front of a tall dude that was more interested in texting on his phone then the concert. I had bad beer breath guy behind me and also in front of me was mohawk guy but he was short so didn't care. Who cares though. The show killed! I had a great time.

I was almost laughing yet got more intense in the first song when Opeth came out I heard a lot of "FUCK YA!".

Thank you for the set list. I am still in process of getting all of their albums since I've only really got into this band a few months ago so I didn't recognize some of them. I thought Lotus Eater was freaking awesome live and Hope Leaves was just as good. I was really hoping they would play a mellow song or two, hopefully from Damnation and they did and it was memorizing.

As for the first two bands, I got there a little late but saw part of Baroness and I thought they were quite cool. I must check them out. High on Fire was good but too repetitive. I admired the intensity but not much variety. I thought it was a 12 string guitar but learned online it is actually a strange 9 string:
For Matt Pike of High On Fire, we created a distinctive 9-string guitar, with three strings on the bass side and six on the treble side. Each treble string is doubled for a chorused twelve-string guitar sound. The maple and mahogany body features a gorgeous, classic cherry sunburst finish and intricate 5-ply binding. The pickups are a pair of First Act custom made Duomags with super-wide frequency range.