Opeth - Damnation

stefan86

invariably off-topic
Feb 19, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
www.deathdoom.com
Here is Damnation, the first CD from this band with only mellow songs.
At first the albums mellowness got me off and disappointed me, but after i couple of listens i started to realize its greatness.
Opeth has never been an easy band to get in to from the beginning, but the process is definitely worth it.
Right from the first track you're able to hear that they haven't changed a bit when it comes to the emotion in their music.
The general vibe is haunting and grabs you tightly from beginning to end.
As for the song material, it all feels well-written and well-executed.
"Windowpane" opens up the album in a good pretty soft way, it also contains one of the best slow solos i ever heard.
"In My Time of Need" is probably the most generally popular song of this album, with a pretty catchy chorus and a very good tempo throughout.
It still remains very Opethish and that is definitely a good thing.
"Death Whispers A Lullaby" contains some very good vocal lines and keeps the album moving very well.
It may be one of the weaker tracks of Damnation, but still its a very good song.
"Closure" is a very good tracks that contains a mix between a haunting melody and some slow parts, its generally an awesome song with great acoustic bridges and vocals.
One of the most haunting moments occur as Mikael sings "in the rays of the sun, i am longing for the darkness".
Every time i hear it, even after listening it through hundreds of times, i get a deep chill inside.
"Hope Leaves" is another killer track with very good vocal lines and a generally great flow.
"To Rid The Disease" is probably the perfection of the haunting mood.
The vocals and guitars are combined enormously well, making this my favorite track off Damnation.
"Ending Credits", another example of great songwriting, is a harmonized and well-executed instrumental track with a good flow and feeling.
The album ends with "Weakness", a very slow and haunting track that definitely wraps it up in a good manner.
Arrangements have always been Opeths biggest strength, and Damnation is definitely not an exception.
Everything is generally well-executed and the musicianship is top notch.
Mikaels vocals sound enormously well through the entire cd, as he proves how truly talented he is.
Once again i wind up feeling jealous at the way this man can have one of the darkest screams in the metal business, and at the same time having a beautiful clean voice.
The only vocalist who can even compare with him at all is probably Mikael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity.
The production is very enjoyable and perfected as the vocals and acoustic guitars are on top and the drums sound well and a bit lower than usually.
Very fitting for an album of this kind.
Damnations true greatness is revealed when its used as background or resting music, its not just as good when completely focusing on it.
I like this album in its entirety and the only ones who might be disappointed with it are people who don't really like the mellow side of Opeth.
Personally, i like the mellow side of the band as much as the heavy side.
Its not a life changing album, but for any fan of progressive and/or well-executed music i recommend it.

stefan86 said:
Here is Damnation, the first CD from this band with only mellow songs.
At first the albums mellowness got me off and disappointed me, but after i couple of listens i started to realize its greatness.
Opeth has never been an easy band to get in to from the beginning, but the process is definitely worth it.
Right from the first track you're able to hear that they haven't changed a bit when it comes to the emotion in their music.
The general vibe is haunting and grabs you tightly from beginning to end.
As for the song material, it all feels well-written and well-executed.
"Windowpane" opens up the album in a good pretty soft way, it also contains one of the best slow solos i ever heard.
"In My Time of Need" is probably the most generally popular song of this album, with a pretty catchy chorus and a very good tempo throughout.
It still remains very Opethish and that is definitely a good thing.
"Death Whispers A Lullaby" contains some very good vocal lines and keeps the album moving very well.
It may be one of the weaker tracks of Damnation, but still its a very good song.
"Closure" is a very good tracks that contains a mix between a haunting melody and some slow parts, its generally an awesome song with great acoustic bridges and vocals.
One of the most haunting moments occur as Mikael sings "in the rays of the sun, i am longing for the darkness".
Every time i hear it, even after listening it through hundreds of times, i get a deep chill inside.
"Hope Leaves" is another killer track with very good vocal lines and a generally great flow.
"To Rid The Disease" is probably the perfection of the haunting mood.
The vocals and guitars are combined enormously well, making this my favorite track off Damnation.
"Ending Credits", another example of great songwriting, is a harmonized and well-executed instrumental track with a good flow and feeling.
The album ends with "Weakness", a very slow and haunting track that definitely wraps it up in a good manner.
Arrangements have always been Opeths biggest strength, and Damnation is definitely not an exception.
Everything is generally well-executed and the musicianship is top notch.
Mikaels vocals sound enormously well through the entire cd, as he proves how truly talented he is.
Once again i wind up feeling jealous at the way this man can have one of the darkest screams in the metal business, and at the same time having a beautiful clean voice.
The only vocalist who can even compare with him at all is probably Mikael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity.
The production is very enjoyable and perfected as the vocals and acoustic guitars are on top and the drums sound well and a bit lower than usually.
Very fitting for an album of this kind.
Damnations true greatness is revealed when its used as background or resting music, its not just as good when completely focusing on it.
I like this album in its entirety and the only ones who might be disappointed with it are people who don't really like the mellow side of Opeth.
Its not a life changing album, but for any fan of progressive and/or well-executed music i recommend it.

good review

I think the album is :kickass:

I have heard this logic used many times defend the mediocraty of DAMNATION...........but I could make an album up of mellow songs taken from previous 6 Opeth albums that would be far superior to Damnation.
For instance "face of melinda" is much better than any track on Damnation.

Damnation is not terrible, but it is just average work that many other groups could easily put out.

Nice review.

Windowpane is actually the most popular song on the album by far. I would personally rate Closure, To Rid The Disease and In My Time Of Need as the best 3 tracks by far.

'Tis their worst album though. *makes love to My Arms Your Hearse*

Good Review!!

I love Damnation! I have only heard Deliverance as far as other Opeth albums are concerned. I have to say that I hate growling, and thus I don't really like most songs from Deliverance even though the music is great. I am mostly into progressive.

My point is that this mellow album can make Opeth "accessible" to new audiences (I'm one of them!!).
Even though I believe that their next album will be a return to growling vocals I will give it more chances because of Damnation.