Opeth / Dream Theater

Try to find Porcupine Tree - Orchidia also. Very similar. The bass drum pattern is almost the same. In addition, it's a great song. I wish it was on something other than an obscure out of print single as a B side, or whatever.

The beginning of the Pull me under solo is slightly the same as the Serenity Painted Death solo. Also one of the breakdowns in A Chnage of Seasons is identical to one that of White Cluster.

I wanted to start a thread on that very thing, I just didn't want to get flamed!!!
Evertyhing you hear today is, pretty much, a reflection of what someone else has already done anyway.
I don't think bands intend for it to happen, it just happens.
As some of you may know, Spock's Beard steals alot of Gentle Giant, (early) Genesis, and Beatles on "every" album and they admit it!
I believe they (S.B.) were just paying homage to those bands.
I don't think Opeth were aware of such a likeness. They were just playing what felt good to them at the time.

NP: King Crimson- The Power To Believe :Smokedev:

If anyone here is into death metal, compare the first riff ( I believe it's the first one anyways) Nile's Unas Slayer of Gods with a riff around the 2:30 mark on Candlemass's Well Of Souls....Absolutely identical, even though Nile claim to have never really listened to any doom metal :err:

"anyone here is into death metal, compare the first riff ( I believe it's the first one anyways) Nile's Unas Slayer of Gods with a riff around the 2:30 mark on Candlemass's Well Of Souls....Absolutely identical, even though Nile claim to have never really listened to any doom metal"

Oh yeah? I never noticed that. IT IS the same riff. Karl said in an interview in Close-Up that he love Candlemass and use to play Well Of Souls on his acoustic guitars. Using that riff in Unas Slayer Of The Gods is his way of paying homage to Candlemass.

As most Dream Theater fans would say about Opeth, I don't like Dream Theaters vocals, otherwise they are a very talented band :p

As most Dream Theater fans would say about Opeth, I don't like Dream Theaters vocals, otherwise they are a very talented band :p