OPETH Frontman: 'I Don't Take Anything For Granted With This Band'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a recent interview with Metal Injection, OPETH guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt said that he approaches each new album as if it could be his final one. "It's been in the back of my mind every time I start writing for a record that it might be the last one," he said (see video below. "It might be people just abandon us and we don't have a career or we can't afford [to keep going], or whatever. Or you get tired, or you can't write. I don't take anything for granted with this band, even though we have almost a 30-year… I've been in the band almost 30 years now. I almost said '30-year career,' but it took a good 10 years before we had what could be considered a career. "It's good for me to write music thinking that this might be it," he continued. "Then I don't slack. It's good. It's such an important thing in my life, I don't wanna treat it in any other way than with the utmost respect. Especially if I'm writing music myself, it needs to be there. And it can't be corrupted by business [people]. I mean, it will be in the end anyway. Once I give the record away, business takes over. But when it comes to music, if somebody tries to suggest things to me, I'll off them. That's all I care about." OPETH's 13th album, "In Cauda Venenum", will be released on September 27 via Moderbolaget / Nuclear Blast Entertainment. Recorded last year at Stockholm's Park Studios, the disc will be released in two versions, in both Swedish and English languages. Various physical and digital formats will be available.

Continue reading...