Opeth Playing Songs Too Fast Live

Letter To The Unborn

New Metal Member
Feb 23, 2003
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed this? Every bootleg I've heard is far too fast!

I'm going to see them for the first time next month, and I'm wondering if anyone else who's seen them live can tell me whether they noticed this or not.

:confused:

Compare a live environment to a studio environment.
Which one is more exciting?

In a live situation I think its only natural.
Some bands go crazy fast live.

you don't notice it at the show normally, but I have some songs from the montreal show that were bootlegged and they really rush through some parts and cut others in half to save time. Doesn't realy affect the show much, and hey if you want the "correct" version just enjoy the album one.

Does it matter? It's OPETH, for cripes' sake. I can't think of a single reason to complain about anything when I'm standing there watching them play right in front of me. It's their music, they can do what they want.

well, they have no click track when they play live, so its assumed they would speed up. its what happens to EVERYBODY

Yes, they play fast, and unfortunately it makes them sloppy. And the slow parts, like Credence, were played too slow and just dragged on.

Certainly not the tightest band live, but hey, it's freakin' Opeth.

I must of been at a different Opeth concert than the rest of you.

What I witnessed was as near to perfection of any live show I've ever seen. For one, why compare speeds to an album? Live is totally a different environment than the studio - you have exactly one shot to get it right - and I saw one hour and forty-five minutes of live beauty.

Sometimes I feel people are slightly too critical, which lessens what should be an unbelievable experience. A live concert is raw - it will always bring out imperfections that a studio can hide. For me - seeing Opeth live was unbelievable, and I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it.