Opeth - Slither

TitoC

Nov 30, 2004
Wow...great tribute song to Ronnie James Dio. That solo alone makes me long for Ritchie Blackmore to return to hard rock (one can only hope for a MK III reunion before it's too late. The CD (Heritage) is fantastic though all the way through. I'm not into growling, so this is the first Opeth CD I really love from start to finish - and the production is glorious; I can actually blast this baby.

But if I didn't know better and someone played the solo from Slither to me, I'd have thought it was long lost from Purple or Rainbow...it's that dead on. As a matter of fact this whole CD as a 70's Purple vibe.

T

I LOVED most of the song. It was soooooo cool to hear a modern group sound so much like Rainbow with Blackmore (Rainbow Rising era), solo and all. But then it broke down into a useless soft ending...was left shaking my head, especially since it was such a short song. Such an amazing tune should have finished on a high note.

I LOVED most of the song. It was soooooo cool to hear a modern group sound so much like Rainbow with Blackmore (Rainbow Rising era), solo and all. But then it broke down into a useless soft ending...was left shaking my head, especially since it was such a short song. Such an amazing tune should have finished on a high note.

I view the ending as an extension of the "Rainbow days" tribute part if the song into (ironically) a soft Sabbath ending, exactly how the song 'Heaven & Hell' ended. I think the entire arrangement is totally awesome...ending and all.

T

I view the ending as an extension of the "Rainbow days" tribute part if the song into (ironically) a soft Sabbath ending, exactly how the song 'Heaven & Hell' ended. I think the entire arrangement is totally awesome...ending and all.

T

I view the ending as lazy and Mikael having poor judgement......for me, this is the case with at least half the album......but it's all a matter of opinion and personal taste, right ? The important thing is our enjoyment of the music.