OPETH: Sorceress

it's a bit of a downer than their one of their proudest moments is performing a kind of music that they no longer feel compelled to produce.

Reactions: DigitalMan
it's a bit of a downer than their one of their proudest moments is performing a kind of music that they no longer feel compelled to produce.

Opeth went from a prog band to being a prog band. What a drastic change (rollseyes)

heh. They went from a death metal with progressive tendencies to a retro band with some distorted guitars every once in a while (but mostly just acoustics).

Reactions: Islandstone
heh. They went from a death metal with progressive tendencies to a retro band with some distorted guitars every once in a while (but mostly just acoustics).

Not even remotely true, Opeth were a fully fledged prog metal band back on their debut Orchid. Its the template for progressive metal in the extreme metal realm. Regardless going back to your original comment, why shouldn't the band be proud of the Albert Hall gig, just because of a shift in their sound? I honestly don't get your point there.

The moment referred to is "death metal in the albert hall". That's indeed something to be proud of. I was simply lamenting their style shift away from death metal. If you didn't get the point, you didn't want to.

that's not what you said though, there is nothing that is a 'downer' at all about it

to clarify, the moment itself it great. the downer, for me personally is that they've chosen not to produce the kind of music that made the moment in question so special, that is to say, death metal.

I see what you are saying but bands evolve all the time in pretty drastic ways. Bands like Anathema, Katatonia and the Gathering, made bigger stylistic changes and became better bands for it. In terms of the wider frenzy surrounding new Opeth, I get that people don't like the music Opeth is making now (based on the 3 albums its a mixed bag for sure) but I don't understand why so many always bring it back to the stylistic change. The stylistic change itself has nothing to with the quality of the music, its the songwriting that determines its worth.

Last edited:
The sound of this new disc is what is ruining it for me more than the lack of aggression...

The drums sound muffled and to high in the mix which makes the whole listening experience sound condensed and dull...

I see what you are saying but bands evolve all the time in pretty drastic ways. Bands like Anathema, Katatonia and the Gathering, made bigger stylistic changes and became better bands for it. In terms of the wider frenzy surrounding new Opeth, I get that people don't like the music Opeth is making now (based on the 3 albums its a mixed bag for sure) but I don't understand why so many always bring it back to the stylistic change. The stylistic change itself has nothing to with the quality of the music, its the songwriting that determines its worth.

I'd like to provide a counterpoint to that. The other day I heard a bluegrass version of Elton John's Rocketman, a song I like. It has the same melodies, harmonies, chord changes. It follows the same structure. But done in a bluegrass style. I did not like it as I don't like bluegrass music. The pacing, the vocal inflection, the instrumentation do not satisfy me musically.

I would venture to say that the style a song is in indeed does have an effect on whether it will be enjoyed by any particular group of people depending on if they enjoy the elements of that style or not. When a band decides undergo a style shift, that alone can and clearly has produced a reaction from the fans.

I'd like to provide a counterpoint to that. The other day I heard a bluegrass version of Elton John's Rocketman, a song I like. It has the same melodies, harmonies, chord changes. It follows the same structure. But done in a bluegrass style. I did not like it as I don't like bluegrass music. The pacing, the vocal inflection, the instrumentation do not satisfy me musically.

I would venture to say that the style a song is in indeed does have an effect on whether it will be enjoyed by any particular group of people depending on if they enjoy the elements of that style or not. When a band decides undergo a style shift, that alone can and clearly has produced a reaction from the fans.

I get what you are trying to say but your example is not comparable at all, we aren't talking about a cover song with Opeth. And also we certainly aren't talking about a change to a different genre all together. Opeth were a prog band back when they released Orchid in the mid 90s and they are still a prog band today.

Last edited:
I'll agree that they are still progressive. What made them interesting for me personally is that they wrote progressive music within a death metal framework. That was novel. Now that they have dropped the death metal elements from their music, they are not as interesting as they're not as unique to my ears anymore.

I was thinking about this discussion while I was falling asleep last night and hit upon a theory that there are fans of genres and there are fans of bands. There's a lot of crossover there if a band writes music in a genre you are a fan of. When a band shifts styles, it gives you the opportunity to discover if you are more a fan of the genre or the band as you will either continue listening to the band and enjoying them or you won't. There are a few bands I have stuck with over the years if they've undergone style shifts. Most often though, I usually look for a new band to listen to. That works for me. Keeps it fresh.

Reactions: MelbCro
Those are all fair points. For me even though I started out as a metalhead, I've definitely become a prog fan first and foremost. So while I listen to prog metal in all its variations, I also listen to just as much (if not more) prog that's not in a metal framework.

Reactions: hoodaman
Honestly, I think their prog-death material was more creative than what they're doing now. Hell, Damnation was more unique than their last three albums.

You wouldn't pick Rush, Mikael? Seriously? With albums like Farewell to Kings, 2112 and Hemispheres? The fuck, man? I mean, all the other stuff was fine but shit...I would totally recommend Rush.