Opeth vs Van Halen???

May 21, 2007
I thought i'd ask of your opinions..

I was recently put in the situation where i would have to pick between seeing Van Halen may 20th, or opeth/dt may 20th.

On the one hand it's van halen, this could likely be my only chance to ever see van halen although it would be with my dad and quite unenjoyable.

or i could go to opeth with buddies and party and have a good time.

tough decision.

How old are you?

Well if it was my dad . . . . .he wouldn't want to go to a rock concert in the first place, cuz he's not cool like that

I personally can't stand Van Halen, but if you and your dad get along it'd be a good bonding experience, Opeth does tour a lot more than Van Halen.

Check out Van Halen's latest stuff on YouTube, then decide.

Maybe Van Halen 20 years ago, but Opeth now.

Today's Van Halen is a total washed up train wreck. Eddie sounds like shit and DLR is none too impressive. I'm actually surprised the tour is lasting as long as it is.

Go see Opeth. They deserve the support. VH is out for an extra buck.

seriously, do yourself and your old man a favour (even if he is remotley open minded) and hit the opeth gig, he can stand at the back and you can do whatever your thing is at gigs, headbang stand and criticise like the musical elitists at gigs whatever. Ive seen opeth twice and wouldnt pass an opportunity to see them again, oh and Van Halen is very, very shit. : )

Check out Van Halen's latest stuff on YouTube, then decide.

Maybe Van Halen 20 years ago, but Opeth now.
Today's Van Halen is a total washed up train wreck. Eddie sounds like shit and DLR is none too impressive. I'm actually surprised the tour is lasting as long as it is.

Go see Opeth. They deserve the support. VH is out for an extra buck.

I think that's the best advice. I absolutely love Van Halen, but I'm not sure about their sound at the moment. On the one hand, if they ever come to England with this tour I guess I'd have to go....but, at the moment, Opeth deserve my support as they are doing it NOW.

I feel like such a fuckin hypocrite for what i'm about to say but, quite honestly, i don't even like van halen THAT much.....opeth is my favorite band.... however..(and it kills me to say this) van halen is one of those groups, although some will disagree, there up there with zeppelin and floyd and bands like that this will probably be the only time in my lifetime i'll get to see van halen, it is in essence 'a once in a lifetime' experience, that i would love to have, but i'm just not suire.

i'm 19, and my relationship with my father is practically non-existent and i honestly dont mind. I've been planning for awhile to go see opeth and dream theater in boston on may 20th and i found out a couple days ago that my dad won van halen tix off the radio.

if i went with my dad it would be the worst experience ever , i cant even talk to him really like i would a normal person, so i would go and probably not have that great of a time, or go to opeth with my buds and have a great time... idk.

Go see Van Halen, that would def be something you remember. Opeth will be touring much more than VH, so why not see both.
The fact that you wouldn't enjoy it because you are with your dad...grow up for one night and enjoy the music.

You're not the only 19 year-old to feel disconnected from your father - I was just like you 13 years ago. My father died two years ago, so I can't take advantage of my maturity to spend any time with him.

Go spend the evening with your dad. The great thing about a concert is that you don't have to worry about talking during the show. Go for the experience. Wait to see the Opeth headlining tour.

Go & watch Van halen. Its about bonding with your dad, not the concert. You can watch Opeth anytime when they come down again.:headbang:

I don't know what to tell you, but what I'd do is go with my dad. I sincerely like spending time with my old man, he's probably one of the coolest dad's you could have. I just really connect with him. So I suggest you go with your dad, he'll only be there for so long, so take advantage of the time you've got.

Does he like Van Halen?

is this his attempt to make a bond and have a good time, id say go,
Opeth should be back as headliners maybe next year so go see what at least used to be a great live band and one of the best guitarists ever.
I wanted tose Zep at Knebworth when i was young but parents wouldnt go with me or let me go on my own then Bonzo died and so did the chance of seeing such a great band, in a way van halen are like this such an influential band ( i love thier first album, alongside the first maiden album one of the greatest debue albums ever) Now im going to get flamed
I think your dads making an effort take the opportunity, then perhapse when another good band is about he will ask you to go again,
If you like some of Opeths softer melodic parts and like twin guitars see if he likes wishbone ash, without them no iron maiden twin leads or probably thin lizzy. wishbone ash are always a good gig
:worship:

You're not the only 19 year-old to feel disconnected from your father - I was just like you 13 years ago. My father died two years ago, so I can't take advantage of my maturity to spend any time with him.

Go spend the evening with your dad. The great thing about a concert is that you don't have to worry about talking during the show. Go for the experience. Wait to see the Opeth headlining tour.

+1 Enough said by wwallinga.

You may find yourself in the future saying "what if". Just go with your dad, and catch opeth this fall/winter when they come back headlining.

I would have to pick Van Halen, if only for the bonding experience with your dad. Take it from me, I took my Dad to go see a special Porcupine Tree show and he enjoyed himself. And while we were not really all that close, it's an experience that I will always cherish.

(disclaimer, VH is so not my style)