Opinions on Arch Enemy's Stigmata album?

Mark_Palangio

On The Fields Of Life
Jul 12, 2005
Greensburg, PA
Namely the guitar tone and the production overall. I was just curious to what some of you guys thought. The guitar tone on that album is my favorite tone ever, and the CD itself is as well, I just love that album. :headbang:

Hey Andy, you should convince Mike that they need to play the title track Stigmata at some shows. That would be incredible, I've always wanted to see them play that song! It would be a great opener. :headbang: :D

Black Earth stands out to me more because it was the first AE I heard, and I loved the guitar and drum sound but the vocals sounded... eew. I'm listening to Doomsday Machine right now, and their sound always seems like there's so little 'fuzz' in the guitars compared to a lot of the other stuff I hear - it drove me nuts thinking I could crank gain and add booster on booster to get closer, I still find it funny that it took me so long to just try going the other way on the knobs.

Jeff

JBroll said:
Black Earth stands out to me more because it was the first AE I heard, and I loved the guitar and drum sound but the vocals sounded... eew. I'm listening to Doomsday Machine right now, and their sound always seems like there's so little 'fuzz' in the guitars compared to a lot of the other stuff I hear - it drove me nuts thinking I could crank gain and add booster on booster to get closer, I still find it funny that it took me so long to just try going the other way on the knobs.

Jeff

Yeah, Stigmata has a lot of gain and bass, but it sounds awesome. It's just such an overpowering tone.

I prefer Andy's tones...its a tie between Anthems and Doomsday...there is something weird about the Krank tracks on Doomsday, but I've started to like it. Anthems is one of the best examples of the classic 5150/XXX extreme metal sounds...Leader of Rats sounds fucking huge.

Mark, I sent the check for your guitar in the mail yesterday, hopefully you'll get it soon!

I just haven't figured out how they can make things as big sounding and still clear, without jacked-up sounding treble. Drives me nuts. They're also one of the big reasons why I haven't drilled my axes open for EMGs - that, and the Panic Attack (Dream Theater) sound, show that 'hugeness' and character I aim for, and they both use passive pickups. Granted, there are also big big expensive amps at the other end of the chain, but... I haven't gotten to that yet. I don't recall seeing this posted, so forgive me if this has been answered, but what mics and positions were used on Andy's stuff (especially on Wages of Sin)?

Listening to Stigmata right now... can't say I miss Liiva's vocals. At best he doesn't take from the music, but half the time it sounds like he's just trying to figure out the rhythm as he goes along and shout something that kind of fits, and the tone of his voice is so completely not 'crunchy' like, say, Angela Gossow or Jeff from Carcass. It's like he's 'shaping' the notes right but there's no 'grind' there (like the new Slayer album - EQ'd and played well, but where's the bloody distortion?) and it just sounds comical at times. Grr.

Jeff

Mark_Palangio said:
Yeah, Stigmata has a lot of gain and bass, but it sounds awesome. It's just such an overpowering tone.
yeah, but the guitars seem hard to hear... I like the stuff, but to me it's just not quite as powerful. but... it's in my car player right now. :headbang:

Remy_5150 said:
I prefer Andy's tones...
+1

I think the tone of Doomsday Machine is the best Arch Enemy tone I've heard so far...granted, I've only heard Angela-era stuff. But, DM's Krank tone is killer. I know you're not a fan Mark, but I don't see how that tone can be denied.

Remy_5150 said:
I prefer Andy's tones...its a tie between Anthems and Doomsday...there is something weird about the Krank tracks on Doomsday, but I've started to like it. Anthems is one of the best examples of the classic 5150/XXX extreme metal sounds...Leader of Rats sounds fucking huge.

Mark, I sent the check for your guitar in the mail yesterday, hopefully you'll get it soon!

Awesome man, I have the guitar all packed up and ready to go. I'll shoot you an email when I get it and send the guitar out. :headbang:

nwright said:
I think the tone of Doomsday Machine is the best Arch Enemy tone I've heard so far...granted, I've only heard Angela-era stuff. But, DM's Krank tone is killer. I know you're not a fan Mark, but I don't see how that tone can be denied.

I like the tone on Doomsday Machine, but I just like the Stigmata tone WAY more. For me, nothing beats that brutal grind a 5150 has with low tuned guitars.

KILLER C.D.
'Beast of Man'
'Dark of the Sun'!!!! Those Are Classics!!! Johan Liiva KILLS on that C.D.!! Decipherable and brutal!:headbang:

Isn't it funny how the press house screwed up the titles on that C.D.? Or was it meant to look like that?:lol:

GORILLA

poidaobi said:
The Lead Guitar tone on Stigmata give me 5150 Gas. Must Have. 5150. now. :saint:

The way the lead guitar harmonies sound is amazing too. Mike was using a Burny Les Paul with stock pickups (I think???) and a Sustainer in the neck, and Chris was using a neck thru Caparison Dellinger TAT with stock Caparison pickups.

The only album I actually own with 5150 tones is Anthems of Rebellion, which I've been listening to non-stop. I will say that the tones sound almost dead on to what I get with my 6505+ and my JB and Duncan Distortion loaded Vipers.

nwright said:
The only album I actually own with 5150 tones is Anthems of Rebellion, which I've been listening to non-stop. I will say that the tones sound almost dead on to what I get with my 6505+ and my JB and Duncan Distortion loaded Vipers.

Yeah, the closest I've got to the Stigmata tone is a JB loaded Gibson Explorer through a 5150 and a V30 loaded cab. Mike loves the JB, but I don't think he used it back then?