Opinions on desk & control surface

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hey guys

I'm looking for a medium sized desk with room for rack mounts, similar to Charles j's in the studio forum you know with the mounts under the monitor stand, and built in raisers/stands for monitors, I'm a qualified carpenter so If anybody had plans for it that would be more than amazing,

Also I'm using a mac and logic 9 and I'm really toting with the idea of getting a control surface, I am only a hobbyist bedroom warrior so something with a modest pricetag would be lovely,

Hope you guys can help,

Thanks

Rich

Anybody? I don't man to badger but using a paste table is getting beyond a joke now :p

If you're a qualified carpenter, couldn't you just look at CJ's desk and come up with the basic dimensions? Then modify it to suit your needs?

edit: I don't mean to be a dick. Just asking.

I could but I Havnt seen a quality photo of it, and I'd prefer something a touch bigger but I just can't find anything haha

Yes something similar would be good but I'd have a hard time fitting my 27" monitor and my monitors on that one, but I'm a complete noob to desks

i have that said desk too (got it for 10€ on ebay used) ... but i wouldnt recommend it, even not for the original prize.
all premade desks are really expensive or the cheaper ones are more or less home furniture, afaik.
but if you are willing to build something yourself, why not something like this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSRSv2/
dont know how much gear you need to put into racks. im a bedroom warrior too, btw :)

Yeah thats nice actually :)

Probes a little too big for me though but I could change that, that's definitely the avenue I had in mind,
Can you think of anything else pal?

If you're good doing things yourself. Do 2racks with 10rack spaces each. and then do a kind of desk in between. Check my studio page and you'll see. Or check sterling modular desks which are really nice

Well a rack size is 19inch. I did mine with just MDF. Do some search on google. I think 1rackU is 4.5cm circa. there was someone who did a nice ergonomic desk from a "im building my studio" thread. Don't remember which one.

Im pretty happy with mine, although i bought a monitor which could be mounted on a arm extender.

Ahhh so they're 19 inches wide usually? Fair enough.

I'm terrible at finding things in this forum haha :p