Orange tree releases Evolution Banshee

xphen0m

May 9, 2012
I'm well aware that these types of things get over about as well as Barack Obama at a republican convention at this board, but I'll admit I'm a sucker for these types of things.

A new 8 string library from Orange Tree Samples, who actually have some of the best sampled libraries around. I just bought Banshee and hope to actually get to use it today. They're not taking PayPal right now for some weird reason.

https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/evolution-electric-guitar-banshee

The demos are half decent. The tones they posted aren't exactly appealing to me, but I'm sure I can get something useful out of it. This was recorded using Bareknuckle Pickups, according to gregjazz at the KVR forum. I'm looking to compare this with MusicLab's recently released RealEight. I'm hoping the palm mutes are better in Banshee since I was kind of disappointed with that in RealEight. Shreddage has great palm mutes.

The demos honestly don't really impress me much...the tones on Metal Mouth and Calamitous feel thin/powerless/weird. I haven't heard any good-sounding heavy tones made with it yet (although since it was recently released and there are only a few demos, perhaps it's too early to judge it like that).

I noticed that the product page says it has only 2x round robin samples per articulation. Does it have bad machine gunning on repeating notes?

The demos honestly don't really impress me much...the tones on Metal Mouth and Calamitous feel thin/powerless/weird.

I also wasn't impressed by the sound examples. This was my thought on those examples as well. I got a decent (actually pretty good, in my opinion) tone using X50. And then I switched to using Bias FX into Recabinet 4 and that also sounded really good.

I noticed that the product page says it has only 2x round robin samples per articulation.

I honestly haven't noticed any machine gunning so far. Machine-gunning in MusicLab's RealEight was noticeable right off the bat. I'm going to do some really fast palm muting and such to see what it does either later tonight or tomorrow. I just got home from a super, super, super de duper busy day at work lololol.

2x round robin seems a bit weird in one aspect because there was like 16x (or 32x?) round-robin for their Rickenbacker bass library. On the other hand, I think they sample more articulations with this guitar. However, I haven't noticed unison bends. I realized that today when I was sitting in the parking lot in my car lol.

Yeah, the demos sound like they were made by Native Instruments. I bet Javi or someone on this board can make this library shine. I believe i read a couple months ago that they sampled this from a Banshee with BK Jugs in it. No reason it should sound this bad.