Oriental Metal

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
I have really gotten into this lately, the so called Oriental metal, not just bands from the orient, but the genre, bands like Orphaned Land, Myrath, Arkan, and others. Here are some examples, if you know of more please post them I am interested to find new ones.

Arkan:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PinDP_6u8-s&feature=related[/ame]

Orphaned Land:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUi1yf97paw&feature=related[/ame]

Myrath:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsfqqBnASQ&feature=fvst[/ame]

Amaseffer is great too!

And to those who can stand brutal death metal, Nile is always a treat. :)

LOVE middle eastern music here, but Oriental music really means music from the orient... Asia. Check the Asian metal thread - good stuff there!!

Oooo I like Myrath!! Nice share!

Aren't the countries that we consider "middle eastern" actually part of Asia Minor? So wouldn't the term Oriental includes them with other "eastern" countries, be they middle- or far-? Or is that just 19th-century speak? .... Also, some people consider the word "Oriental" slightly derogatory.

AAAAANNNNYYYWAAAAYYYYY ..... got my copy of Fu Xi in the mail this weekend! Pristine, sealed condition! Ebay user BURNINGCHINA is an excellent source for a lot of the bands I'm sure will be mentioned in this thread! :headbang:

My first (on topic) addition to this thread is ODIOUS. Melodic, Black, Lo-Fi, Egyptian, Awesome.

and before anyone tells me Egyptian ≠ Oriental, here's some KHEPRI ... progressive stuffs

Perhaps one more... female-fronted symphonic-ness of NIRAH

k, i promise to pick another (something "asian") country next time.... for balance-sake ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's Alchemist from Aus. This song popped into my head as something that fits along these lines.

Amaseffer is great too!

And to those who can stand brutal death metal, Nile is always a treat. :)

LOVE middle eastern music here, but Oriental music really means music from the orient... Asia. Check the Asian metal thread - good stuff there!!

Got to agree with you on the Amaseffer, but totally disagree with what you on the next statement. Oriental Metal is actually a sub-genre of Folk Metal, and can be played a band from any country, All it means is that the band incorporates Oriental sounding tones in the music and may use oriental still instruments. Orphaned Land, and Myrath both have referred to themselves as an Oriental style metal band, and anywhere you go an look up Oriental Metal, who do you see? Orphaned Land, and Myrath, And Tammy is correct: Aren't the countries that we consider "middle eastern" actually part of Asia Minor? So wouldn't the term Oriental includes them with other "eastern" countries, be they middle- or far-?

...but totally disagree with what you on the next statement. Oriental Metal is actually a sub-genre of Folk Metal, and can be played a band from any country, All it means is that the band incorporates Oriental sounding tones in the music and may use oriental still instruments. Orphaned Land, and Myrath both have referred to themselves as an Oriental style metal band, and anywhere you go an look up Oriental Metal, who do you see? Orphaned Land, and Myrath, And Tammy is correct: Aren't the countries that we consider "middle eastern" actually part of Asia Minor? So wouldn't the term Oriental includes them with other "eastern" countries, be they middle- or far-?

I understand what you mean. Oriental Metal is a term, though not a great one, since Oriental means exactly what I said... "from the orient" or "from the east". I guess it can be taken either way just as "progressive" metal does. :lol:

The bottom line is, it's GREAT MUSIC. :)

I understand what you mean. Oriental Metal is a term, though not a great one, since Oriental means exactly what I said... "from the orient" or "from the east". I guess it can be taken either way just as "progressive" metal does. :lol:

The bottom line is, it's GREAT MUSIC. :)

You got that right! Now go to the Nightmare Records site and listen to the clip from the new album by MYRATH

:OMG::OMG:

Got to agree with you on the Amaseffer, but totally disagree with what you on the next statement. Oriental Metal is actually a sub-genre of Folk Metal, and can be played a band from any country, All it means is that the band incorporates Oriental sounding tones in the music and may use oriental still instruments. Orphaned Land, and Myrath both have referred to themselves as an Oriental style metal band, and anywhere you go an look up Oriental Metal, who do you see? Orphaned Land, and Myrath, And Tammy is correct: Aren't the countries that we consider "middle eastern" actually part of Asia Minor? So wouldn't the term Oriental includes them with other "eastern" countries, be they middle- or far-?

The ignorance of this thread blows my mind. If there was a N-word metal genre, would it be cool to use that just because the metal community finds it OK? "Oriental" basically refers to anything that isn't westernized/white. Hence that it's derived from the word "orient," as in "these people aren't oriented with our cultures, etc." That's why many in Asian and Middle Eastern countries find that word extremely offensive. Spare me the geography lesson and pick up a book on cultural studies.

And I've been a fan of Orphaned Land since 2001, I have never heard any of the guys refer to themselves as "Oriental." That wouldn't even make sense, since the word is constructed by white westerners, "oriented" away from Eastern society. The notion that they would call themselves orientals is absurd.

In fact, the "Oriental Metal Tour" you posted a while back had its name changed, probably because it was instituted by a European booking agency and OL found it offensive.

261503_10150245527443036_8776213035_7722489_7626569_n.jpg

And let me add that it's true that the meaning of words can change, but this one has not. If you go up to a Chinese dude and call him "oriental" in 2011 he'd call you a racist.

I guess your the smartest person on here.

Whatever it's called I like it, and that is all that matters to me. Whether it is called Oriental or Middle Eastern or Antartic metal and i don't think there is any ignorance in this thread it is just people expressing their views, and likes

My knee-jerk reaction to the word "oriental" is also offensive, and even stated that in my first post. Then I took a step back and remembered that it's not a dirty word, can be used in proper context, and it still functions as an adjective. I'd rather it be a term to refer to country of origin than to describe an element of sound. For that, "Eastern" might a better general term.

At the risk of turning this thread into a social study, "immigrant" is also not a dirty word until you use it as such. There are some negative feelings towards the use of some words, but that doesn't mean they are now doomed to be a insults across the board. It's all in the usage, I would think.

My knee-jerk reaction to the word "oriental" is also offensive, and even stated that in my first post. Then I took a step back and remembered that it's not a dirty word, can be used in proper context, and it still functions as an adjective. I'd rather it be a term to refer to country of origin than to describe an element of sound. For that, "Eastern" might a better general term.

At the risk of turning this thread into a social study, "immigrant" is also not a dirty word until you use it as such. There are some negative feelings towards the use of some words, but that doesn't mean they are now doomed to be a insults across the board. It's all in the usage, I would think.

Let's don't go into a social study or a study of anthropolgy, but Tammy you are right. Maybe i should have used the term "Middle Eastern Music" but in my opinion they are closwe in sound and texture. Now what would you call Fu Xi hehehhehehehe other than awesome.

Oh Yea, i ran into Brent Erwings twin brother a few minutes ago at Albertson's(he was a cashier) I mean this guy was Brent all over same hair length and wore it the same way, same build, same height, same shit eating grin.

Glad to see Mezarkabul getting some love. Unspoken is a fucking awesome album.

Not sure if this qualifies, but if you dig more extreme stuff...
I love them, personally. Transcendental I is -relentless-

I don't really think (m)any bands call -themselves- Oriental Metal. Rudra refers themselves as Vedic Metal, which is appropriate, given the subject matter.

And of course, there's Melechesh, who also avoid using the term. (using "Mesopotamian" as their stylistic calling card) Ultimately I think it's really just a matter of what the bands want to be known as.

The ignorance of this thread blows my mind. If there was a N-word metal genre, would it be cool to use that just because the metal community finds it OK? "Oriental" basically refers to anything that isn't westernized/white. Hence that it's derived from the word "orient," as in "these people aren't oriented with our cultures, etc." That's why many in Asian and Middle Eastern countries find that word extremely offensive. Spare me the geography lesson and pick up a book on cultural studies.

And maybe you could research word origins before going all holier-than-thou on other people because your explanation is nonsense. The word "orient" appears to be derived from Latin for "rise" or "rising" and was therefore applied (hundreds of years ago) to describe the East, where the sun rises. There's nothing in and of itself about the word "Oriental" that's offensive and it wasn't originally so...it's just become an outdated word that's generally associated with a perjorative meaning, much like "colored". Honestly, I didn't even realize until fairly recently that this was the case (quite frankly, it was when I used the word around a couple of my Asian friends and they laughed and said I should probably say "Asian" instead).