Origin, Misery Index, Abysmal Dawn, Try Redemption. 8 August, 2008 Co Springs, CO

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Origin, Misery Index, Abysmal Dawn, Try Redemption
8 August 2008, The Black Sheep, Colorado Spring, Colorado
By Ryan Starr

Death metal is something that I have been taking a break from over the last year or two. Focusing mostly on black and folk metal. But recently I have been looking back into my death metal collection and decided it was time to revisit the genre. As part of that effort, I decided to check out the Origin/Misery Index show.

The first band on the stage was local headliner Try Redemption. Relishing the chance to open a big tour, they put on a crushing show full of grinding riffs, out of this world melody, and their signature slams. It’s hard to believe anyone in town hasn’t heard them before, but they played in front of a crowd with a lot of first time listeners, and because of that they decided to step it up and put on a great stage show, full of fun little tricks like playing each others guitars. A lot of bands just think head banging with suffice on stage, but Try Redemption know that in order to wow a crowd, you need to give them more, and that’s exactly what they did. Hopefully Try Redemption got a few new fans from the show, and maybe even a few more from this review.

IMG_1177.jpg

Jon Pterson and John Daigle of Try Redemption

Next was Abysmal Dawn, a new band for me. Without hearing their recorded material, everything sound clean and spot on. The live performance was pretty standard, offering nothing new to entertain the crowd. Just a good band offering a solid performance, something the crowd seemed to accept.

IMG_1221.jpg

Charles Elliott of Abysmal Dawn

Third up was the band I was looking forward to the most, Misery Index. From the first note they captivated the crowd with a high energy performance and punishing music. Stage presence is definitely a strong point for the band. I had a hard time getting good pictures because of the amount of movement. Sparky Voyles was practically impossible to photograph during one of his laps around stage. Overall, it was an impressive performance from one of the death metal’s fastest rising stars.

IMG_1303.jpg

Mark Kloeppel of Mixery Index

Headlining the show was technical juggernaut Origin. They aren’t the most energetic band live, but what they lack in stage presence, they make up for it with absurd speed and technicality. Now, don’t get me wrong, they don’t just stand with their feet nailed to the floor like Dying Fetus does, but the amount of intricacy in their riffs limits their movement. And you also have to consider that 3 of the 4 men double as vocalists. Origin are an unbelievably busy band on stage, and just watching them mix all the different disciplines on stage is enough to amaze even the most critical of fans.

IMG_1416.jpg

Mike Flores and Paul Ryan of Origin

This may not have been as epic as Paganfest, but this was definitely worth the time. If any of these bands come through your town, I would encourage you to check it out.

Official Try Redemption Webpage
Official Try Redemption Myspace
Official Abysmal Dawn Webpage
Official Abysmal Dawn Myspace
Official Misery Index Webpage
Official Misery Index Myspace
Official Origin Myspace

Official Relapse Website