Original Symphonic Tech/Death metal song. Fresh ears needed before final CD cut.

hkollner

Oct 5, 2008
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have posted here.
I need some help in deciding if this mix is the absolute best it can be and if not what I can do to fix anything.

My ears are shot from listening and making fixes to this song for the past week or so.

Do you have any suggestions on improving this mix?

Things I am not sure of (Can't hear them anymore)
* Orchestras not sitting well?
* Lowend. Does it sound right?
* Does the snare sound human? Especially the blasts.

Any critique will be appreciated.

Long Link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1794391/Suiderbees/Rise (Final).mp3

Short Link: https://db.tt/9eVdXYz4

Thanks in advance.

I actually really enjoy this song, especially the part at 2:07.
As for the mix i dont really know alot about that stuff but it sounds good to me.

I actually really enjoy this song, especially the part at 2:07.
As for the mix i dont really know alot about that stuff but it sounds good to me.

Thanks man! Glad you liked it.
We have a full length coming out soon and I want it to sound epic.

Nice song!
Everything sounds good, but I think you need to higher the volume of the Orchestra a bit.
But it's up to your taste.

Sounds pretty wicked indeed!

Orchestra can come up a little bit to my ears as well.
Drums sound fine but I would personally lower the snare velocity in the blast beats a bit more.
Also I think the sibilances in the vocals are a bit sharp, could use a tad more de-essing.

Furthermore stellar job!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. Will work on these points.
I am trying to achieve the same Huge orchestra as Dimmu Borgir.

Your main mix sounds damn good. The only thing I would suggest is that, as with everything, a massive sounding orchestra isn't big sounding by itself. I dont even load cellos or bass sections unless its for breaks or unison/impact lines, so I rarely have anything in the lower mid and bass region. Also, when using orchestra in such an unnatural manner for it (competing sonic-ly with compressed instruments) you have to treat them unnaturally. Sometimes big cuts for resonances, and big boosts in the high end for overtones (think like a kick drum). This may help with the instruments becoming cloudy in the mix.