Orphaned Land: global search trends.

Postmodernist

Yachad el ha'or
Apr 12, 2008
antonsaysdotcom.livejournal.com
Wow, this is impressing, Google search trends for "Orphaned Land":
2uidf6u.jpg

Orphaned Land is regaining popularity dynamically.

Top regions
1. Syria
2. Israel
3. Tunisia
4. Morocco
5. Turkey
6. Czech Republic
7. Greece
8. Croatia
9. Egypt
10. Portugal

http://www.google.com/trends?q=orphaned+land&ctab=183087168&geo=all&date=all

I started a small poll at a Russian speaking post-Soviet music sharing community reg. who would like to purchase a licensed copy of ORwarriOR.

So far the results:
47% [ 7 ] - will definitely order asap, the music if worth of it
20% [ 3 ] - will buy from a local label
7% [ 1 ] - would like to buy, but don't have spare money
0% [ 0 ] - gonna buy a pirated CD copy
27% [ 4 ] - will download from Internet, no need to buy

I also put the http://www.hayatom.com/shop/ link there.

I was only kidding Anton. I love the fact that you have such a scientific approach. Yannick is also like that, he loves numbers and statistics and such.
I like your idea of a poll, but I'm afraid the numbers of responses are too low to have a real conclusion drawn. But keep up the good work.

Definitely not a representative sample, totally random in fact. I know that only a fraction of fans in exUSSR orders licensed CDs - for various reasons including low salaries and low availability, difficulties about online payment etc., so it is a great luck my poll got as many as 7 definite buyers.

PS: The map obviously includes enormous generalizations. Like, Nordic countries historically had Christian majority, at that nowadays most people there are non-believers and non-practitioners (just like in the former USSR countries); Ethiopia and Syria have significant Coptic Christian groups; Iran has a significant Zoroastrian group; Turkey has many non-believers; Islam should be separated into Shi'a, Sunnite and Sufi branches, Buddhism also got a whole scope of branches etc.

Thanks Anton, you are making interesting thingies here as usual. Yes, many details are missing here. Like the amount of Muslims in Europe. They are totally left out! Also, there are Christians and Bahai in Israel. And the largest part of population there is secular.
And this is just things we know of. I would say in Holland maybe 90% of population is secular. So this map seems to be a wish rather than the actual situation.

Yep, that's killing non-mainstream music...

Only a little remark: although it can be true, I don't think it's an absolute true. In my case, I would have never heard of Orphaned Land if I had not downloaded it first (with no pay). As I liked (loved) it a lot, now I've bought the newest album, and I'm going to their concert... and perhaps I'm buying some merchandising there. And, of course, I'll buy all upcoming albums... I think the most harmed music because of illegal downloading is mainstream music, as you know it with or without download.

Sorry for this little off-topic, but I wanted to express my humble experience here :lol:

Interesting to see Syria there, a country "officially at war" with Israel but music breaks boundaries where politicians fail! Rock on Orphaned Land!!

Erm, that map with religions... Indeed some bold generalisations and on the other hand some stuff left out:
- Wahhabi branch of Islam is very very strict (strict segregation of genders, whole social life is based around Islam, strict interpretation of the Sharia) ... To put very liberal and secular countries such as Turkey in the same colour and thus same category as Saudi Arabia is crazy.
- Northern Ireland is coloured as protestant. The 49% of Catholics striving for a united Ireland won't be too happy with that generalisation :D (I lived in Belfast, still a very hot topic there, religion that is)
- some pagan and nature religions in Africa not included in the poll
- Judaism: where's the different branches such as orthodox, chassidist, liberal, secular, reform ?? Which is the branch again that doesn't do the brit milah ; is that reform or liberal Judaism? :)
- India categorised as hindu while the religious diversity there is so big that it's hardly possible to list all religions practised in India
- Atheists (the category to whom I subscribe) are left out as we are jammed in the "no dominant religion" category. Agnostism, atheism or no dominant religion are totally different things.
- Scientology is left out? Or would the map consider this as a cult rather than a real religion?

Sorry for being an*l here, but for the sake of political correctness :D Great map anyways!