OT: Favourite Guitar Solo of all time

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
What's your favourite Guitar Solo in Metal, Rock, etc ???

For me it's a toss up between Megadeth's Holy Wars & Tornado of Souls.

My top Five

1. Fade to Black - Metallica
2. Frayed ends of Sanity - Metallica
3. Wake up - Suicidal Tendencies
4. Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden
5. Perilous Nation - Testament

And the List Go's on........

Top Ten

6. I will Remember - George Lynch / Dokken
7. Orion - Metallica
8. Inside Out - Anthrax
9. Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
10. Mr. Crowley - Ozzy Osbourne

Some great stuff mentioned already.

Prince has done some simply incredible guitar solo's in his long and expressive career too.

Some great stuff mentioned already.

Prince has done some simply incredible guitar solo's in his long and expressive career too.

Yeah, he's also one of my favs. The dude is a better rock guitar player than 90% of the so-called rockers out there. He playes with his soul.

1. Bad Brains-Rock For Light

2. Anthrax-Poison My Eyes

3. Slayer-Angel Of Death

4. Pantera-Domination from Vulgar Video (Monsters Of Rock, I believe)

5. Sepultura-Endangered Species

Pretty standard list. The Bad Brains solo is fucking mind-blowing, especially when you consider the fact that its four Rastafarians playing the loudest, brashest punk rock you can imagine.

Yeah, he's also one of my favs. The dude is a better rock guitar player than 90% of the so-called rockers out there. He playes with his soul.

Good to see Prince getting some positive comments on here for his guitar playing. 100% agree with the above.

Some of my favourite guitar solos:

Guns 'n' Roses - One In A Million. Yes, I know the lyrics are suspect and the song got them in hot water, but how often do you get to hear a great acoustic solo like that?.....Actually, come to mention it:

Motorhead - I Ain't No Nice Guy (Acoustic version on the "Boneshaker" DVD) Superb stuff from the underrated Phil Campbell. Fast Eddie who..?!

Sweet Child O' Mine too - I know that will get a few rolled eyes but even though the song has been played to death the solo still sounds f*cking great to me.

Manic Street Preachers - Stay Beautiful

Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man Two words: Adrian. Smith. Nuff said.

AC/DC - That's The Way I Wanna Rock n Roll Let's face it, any number of DC songs could make this list.

Metallica - Master of Puppets (slow solo) Nothing Kirk Hammett produced could ever get in my top list. James Hetfield, however...what an underrated lead player.

Some that come to mind off hand:

Pantera - Floods, Fucking Hostile
GNR - Sweet Child Of Mine
Metallica - One
Megadeth - the aforementioned Tornado of Souls
Testament - Souls of Black, Electric Crown
Pearl Jam - Alive

Randy Rhoads - Suicide Solution live on the "Tribute"-record

Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun

Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused live on The Song Remains The Same

Megadeth - Wake Up Dead

Zodiac Mindwarp And The Love Reaction - Tatooed Beat Messiah

Tornado of souls is a great one. I also like Claptons lead guitar work on crossroads from his cream days.

It is great to see Prince get love on here. I remember seeing him perform at the superbowl halftime show a few years back and being absolutley floored.

Eruption is one of my alltime favorites too.

"Hungry for Heaven" - DIO

Damn, Vivian Campbell shredded back in the day. What a freakin waste of talent with him playing second fiddle in Def Lep.

I used to get jacked up before football games in high school listening to this song and "The Sentinel" by Judas Priest.

Close second is Eddie's solo in "Beat It". You know a good solo when it actually makes a song better.

Armoured Thrax... I got the pleasure of seeing Viv with Def Lep last year and I have to admit he wasn't playing second fiddle. He was awesome live.

I guess though given the more heavier and faster nature of Dio's material, it's obvious Vivian had a wider platform to showcase his talents.

What is it with Dio and always having killer young lead axeman in the day eh?