OT: Getting started with audio recording/mixing

astream

Burning headbanger
Jul 24, 2009
One of my dreams have been to record and mix my own music. Who can give me some advice on a user-friendly audio editing software? Audacity seems to be too basic for me, Cubase seems to be too complicated. Is there anything in the middle?

I have:
- A decent computer
- External soundcard (M-Audio Fast Track Pro)
- Microphones: 1 x SM58, 1 x ADK A-51 (Condenser Mic)
- 1 x ZOOM Q3, 1 x Zoom H2N

What I just ordered:
Harley Benton HB-T (mic for the acoustic guitar)

So far I have been able to:
Make recordings with the two ZOOMs and to import the audio clips into Audacity. But I think that program is not so good ... or I am not so good.

My aim is to record "bluesy acoustic guitar based hard rock", with drums, vocals and bass. I am not a beginner but also no professional. Yet :lol:

Do I need any more stuff?

Thanks! :headbang:

good luk,i heard reaper is alot better than audacity,theres a good suipport network on the forums etc,ive only ever used audacity thru my line 6 to record basic stuff,id love to get better at recording:),ill post some clips soon

Sounds cool!

Looking forward to hear some of the stuff you have recorded. :)

Guess getting solid sound when recording the acoustic guitar will be a challenge. Any experience with that?

An important reason for me to look for another program that Audacity are the effects. Have no clue how to "brighten" up my acoustic sound ... now it just sounds like a little "box".

I use Sony Vegas for mixing. Yeah it's a video editing program, but at least I know how to use it! :lol: Actually I'm really good with Vegas. :oops:

ok, that could be on option then. are you using it for recording live music? and most importantly: can a non-expert in music editing use it? I guess I am not, but I can do great pancakes! :headbang:

What kind of recording software do you want - I'd assume a multitrack editor rather than a wave form editor? Either way, don't use Audacity and don't use Vegas (seriously?). I'd suggest Adobe Audition, which is both, but a great multitrack editor, and not as complicated to use as Cubase and of course Pro Tools. These last 2 are the industry standard and very expensive. I assume you got Pro Tools SE with your M-Audio. If you want a good waveform editor, then Soundforge is the best. But seeing as you're doing multi instruments with probably several guitar tracks of course you want the waveform editor.

In terms of equipment, what specs is your pc? Cos this shit is very resource intensive, especially when it gets to live eq, overlays, drop-ins, etc. The SM58 is the best mike, but you can use line in your condenser to make a L+R line-in, the SM58 closer to the sound source, the condenser further back. Mic placement is crucial! you get different natural eq depending on directly where you're listening from (will you be playing acoustic or semi-acoustic?) Why are you recording into the Zoom and then importing? - line straight into your M-Audio! The EQ for acoustic guitars is paramount and a different matter altogether. But if you have filters on your mics, cut out the low bass (<400hz). Remember with EQ, you never wanna boost frequencys; you must always subtract and then balance this with track volume. I normally cut almost everything from 500hz up on the bass guitar and then boost the volume so that the end result is this kind of eternal, deep warmness (I play melodic death metal and thrash, so everything above 500 hz is provided by the electric guitars and their harmonics).

How are you gonna do drums? You gonna have a live drummer or programme them? I've had great success with producing drums in Fruity Loops with the sweet equalisers and compressors that they have in that programme. I bought drum samples from Beta Monkey and worked on them.

Having said all that, it's a very fuckin tricky process and a bitch to master!

ok, that could be on option then. are you using it for recording live music? and most importantly: can a non-expert in music editing use it? I guess I am not, but I can do great pancakes! :headbang:

It's fairly easy to use. I record each track with a Zoom H2, then just edit it all together with Vegas. I just make demos, but they sound fairly good.

What kind of recording software do you want - I'd assume a multitrack editor rather than a wave form editor? Either way, don't use Audacity and don't use Vegas (seriously?). I'd suggest Adobe Audition, which is both, but a great multitrack editor, and not as complicated to use as Cubase and of course Pro Tools. These last 2 are the industry standard and very expensive. I assume you got Pro Tools SE with your M-Audio. If you want a good waveform editor, then Soundforge is the best. But seeing as you're doing multi instruments with probably several guitar tracks of course you want the waveform editor.

In terms of equipment, what specs is your pc? Cos this shit is very resource intensive, especially when it gets to live eq, overlays, drop-ins, etc. The SM58 is the best mike, but you can use line in your condenser to make a L+R line-in, the SM58 closer to the sound source, the condenser further back. Mic placement is crucial! you get different natural eq depending on directly where you're listening from (will you be playing acoustic or semi-acoustic?) Why are you recording into the Zoom and then importing? - line straight into your M-Audio! The EQ for acoustic guitars is paramount and a different matter altogether. But if you have filters on your mics, cut out the low bass (<400hz). Remember with EQ, you never wanna boost frequencys; you must always subtract and then balance this with track volume. I normally cut almost everything from 500hz up on the bass guitar and then boost the volume so that the end result is this kind of eternal, deep warmness (I play melodic death metal and thrash, so everything above 500 hz is provided by the electric guitars and their harmonics).

How are you gonna do drums? You gonna have a live drummer or programme them? I've had great success with producing drums in Fruity Loops with the sweet equalisers and compressors that they have in that programme. I bought drum samples from Beta Monkey and worked on them.

Having said all that, it's a very fuckin tricky process and a bitch to master!

I am recording a spanish guitar and live drums (played by meself)

Have not found a good programme and therefore not been plugging my microphones directly to the sound card. Easy with ZOOM but not in the long run.

This is exactly the kind of information and advice what I was looking for ...

You seem to know your stuff mate! THanks!

:headbang: