can anyone help with suggestions for getting me out of my p.c. sound recording mayhem

Mick Moss

antimonger
Apr 12, 2002
www.antimatter.tk
Ive spent £300 on a new pc with 80gig hd, 256 ram, 2,400 processor with the purpose of doing home recording. I wouldve just bought a 4 track tape machine coz thats what Ive worked off for years but instead I was lured by the promise of '24 tracks of audio' and effects add ons.

So I get my p.c., set everything up, install cubase sx and record a track.

Straight away the recording isnt the same as the source - its hissy , quiet and radio-quality i.e. crap

So after a weeks deliberation I decided the problem was my onboard soundcard and went out yesterday and spent a further £30 on a sounblaster live! 5:1 card.

I put it in today, great. Got back on cubase, recorded a track and its stil hissy, quiet and radio quality.

Ive got 2 months before Im in the studio to record an album, Ive got a girl who plays violin who is coming round soon to do some recording and i really need to get these demos done, except its taking ages and I cant see sny light at the end of the tunnel.

Is there anyone whos stroking their chin reading this who knows what my problem is?

What's in your audio chain before you get to the computer? Kinda sounds like you're recording through the mic input on the soundcard or maybe without a preamp into the line in jack or something. Are you using an external preamp and recording through the line in jack? Have you checked all your cables to make sure they're on good order?

Guitar - Behringer Mixing Desk - PCs Line In

The signal when I listen to it is fine its just on playback after recording it that it seems to be radio quality