can anyone help with suggestions for getting me out of my p.c. sound recording mayhem

Mick Moss

antimonger
Apr 12, 2002
www.antimatter.tk
Ive spent £300 on a new pc with 80gig hd, 256 ram, 2,400 processor with the purpose of doing home recording. I wouldve just bought a 4 track tape machine coz thats what Ive worked off for years but instead I was lured by the promise of '24 tracks of audio' and effects add ons.

So I get my p.c., set everything up, install cubase sx and record a track.

Straight away the recording isnt the same as the source - its hissy , quiet and radio-quality i.e. crap

So after a weeks deliberation I decided the problem was my onboard soundcard and went out yesterday and spent a further £30 on a sounblaster live! 5:1 card.

I put it in today, great. Got back on cubase, recorded a track and its stil hissy, quiet and radio quality.

Is there anyone whos stroking their chin reading this who knows what my problem is?

:tickled: i was actually :lol:

sorry i wasnt there mate, ah sounds like yer properties inside cubase arent working - i bet u asked duncan like. so if its not, yer recording settings are either too loud or too low, or yer cables are shite.

come back on msn, perhaps we could sort it out. not sure if we can find the prob tho

I know if you convert music to mp3 format you have settings for the quality of the recording i.e 56kbps (radio quality) up to 320 kbps. I think 192 kbps is cd quality. Don't you think there might be a setting in the program to change your recording quality?

Hi Mike,

You haven't mentioned how you record your stuff... Directly with a mic or what? Which input port on your card do you use? Only the mic plug and/or line-in?

When I did recording myself I made sure I only used one of 'm at the same time (old wreck PC of almost 10 years with terratec 32/96 soundcard, but hey, it still works). So you could try to record vocals, guitar parts and keys separately (if that's what you're doing). On some cards mic-boost is an option to increase volume, thus reducing environmental sounds.

You could try to disable cd-audio and midi in volume control (the speaker icon below in your system tray) as sometimes interference may be experienced when everything is enabled. I have got my VCR attached to my line-in, and always disable midi and mic. Especially the last one, as it generates a lot of aforementioned hissing...

A bit more info would be required to guide yah a bit more (or at least try to)...