OT: I see some Chris Brooks fans here

Bear

Got Shred??
Feb 6, 2002
Canton, Georgia
Just wanted to see how many of you have heard this cat. He just released his debut cd "The Master Plan" couple months back. An Insrumental album that ranks (For me at least) with some of the great Instrumental debut's, like Tony Macalpine and Vinnie Moore.

I was fortunate enough to know Chris from MP.com and he sent me his album which I debuted on Seismic Radio and still find it to be one of my favorite instrumentals of the last few years.What a great style and fluidity to Chris's playing, he makes me want to even try harder to become a better guitar player myself...Anyways I think that alot of fans of not only Instrumental music but Symphony X fans will really like this album to. Any thoughts on this cat???

Check out his website http://www.chrisbrooks.net

Bear

HUGE fan here! I am trying to help him as much as possible with promoting his CD and I think the efforts of the people have really helped! We just need to keep getting him hits on his website and getting people to listen to his samples on his site.

You guys should check him out. And he's a hell of a guy too!

Later

Yeah, dig him too. He's got some fluent phrases and nice chops. Only thing is, it's again more of the same. I'm not gonna tear down his hard work not at all, I really like it. But, I think there isn't really innovating or new in his songs (haven't heard them all yet, so... maybe... doubt it 'tho). About everything is done with guitar I think. It's hard to find new and original stuff, I know. Anyway, for a debutalbum it kicks ass. Hope he keeps up the good work ;)
I'm sure we'll hear more of this fella'

hey Bear Wassup! ;)

Of course Ive listened few Clips.. and 2 complete songs... don't have the CD yet... but yes I found it very very Cool Stuff ! :headbang:
has alot of talent ;) I recommend u check him for those who haven't :D

Greetings!
NegrocK

I love what I've heard of Chris' stuff on various 'net radio stations, & I'm usually not too big on too much instrumental stuff..I need to go grab his cd!

Originally posted by Gulder
Yeah, dig him too. He's got some fluent phrases and nice chops. Only thing is, it's again more of the same. I'm not gonna tear down his hard work not at all, I really like it. But, I think there isn't really innovating or new in his songs (haven't heard them all yet, so... maybe... doubt it 'tho). About everything is done with guitar I think. It's hard to find new and original stuff, I know. Anyway, for a debutalbum it kicks ass. Hope he keeps up the good work ;)
I'm sure we'll hear more of this fella'

Its the style, I think he has quite a bit of a new approach on some things and his tones are really nice. But I have been playing for 22 years now and its damn hard to be 100% original,specially when we have all the influences that we have today. I hear you though, but for a debut its sure to be something I will be listening to for a long time.

Bear

Yeah I love this CD as well! Very Petrucci/Vai like. I love his song writing skills as well! The guy can shred with the best of him but he's smart enough to slow it down and really give the listener a good listening experience! HIGHLY recommended CD (so much so that I bought a bunch to stock in my store!)

I got this CD 2 days ago and it is absolutely kicking my arse. I think his playing style is the overall ideas (combination of rock, jazz, technique and melody) of John Petrucci mixed with the willingness to solo (and solo well!) of Michael Romeo.

If there is a guitarist here who appreciates great playing and songwriting they should totally check this out. Anyone with The Dark Chapter MUST own this album.

I was one of the first people to order Chris Brooks CD The MAster Plan. Awesome shit, and a great guy as well.

Yes, awesome stuff! So much more melodic and compositional than many of the shredders out there.

The album is built on songs and decorated with soulful and skillful guitar work, rather than just a wank.

The thing I prefer in Chris' playing to say Petrucci is that the soloing is very free and sounds improvised. I like composed solos like JPs too (very much), but since prog is often very structured, it's nice to hear those jams and improv solos to keep it fresh (more like LTE than DT)

I haven't heard from one person who owns the album and doesn't like it. The clips give you an idea what to expect, but until you've heard the whole thing, I think you've yet to really experience what good a songwriter and player he is. My favorite new artist!

I listened to his clips on his site a few weeks back, and I was really impressed. I do intend to buy the CD, despite the fact that I've only heard clips and not a complete track.
Awesomely clean playing, perhaps a little too Petrucci influenced, but still original.

I don't know if The Sole Survivor frequents this board, but he recommended I check out www.marshallharrison.com and listen to/watch his Florida 2 video clip.
Absolutely amazing. Anyone who likes Brett Garsed'd style will like this guy (taught by Garsed, he was :D).
It sounds like he decided he could take Garsed's ideas and take them to their logical conclusion. You just can't help but marvel at his technique!!
BTW this guy has a serious number of frets on his guitar!

Chris has definitely become one of my top 10 favorite guitarists. Maybe to some people it might sound like "just more guitar shredding", but to me, speaking as a guitarist myself, Chris is a breath of fresh air into this genre of music. His technique is clean, he has a fantastic tone, and his writing combines the best of everything I love about the guitar. I can't say enough good about him!

Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord

Awesomely clean playing, perhaps a little too Petrucci influenced, but still original.

According to the site, his main influences are Brett Garsed, Vinnie Moore, Steve Vai and Allan Holdsworth, which I can hear a little of each in there at times. I don't hear much Petrucci in there at all from the stuff I figured out from Chris' CD (Apart from some of the DT influenced songs). I've studied heaps of JP so I know his licks pretty well.

BTW, apart from the tabs on chrisbrooks.net, anyone tabbed any licks out from THE MASTER PLAN ?

I've never even heard of him...so you're telling me I've missed something here...?
Ok...I'll check him out... just one question - is this like all instrumental music? No vocals?
I find that to be a bit boring, in the long run... need vocals to keep me interested. :)

I have been meaning to transcribe some of the master plan, but I have been busy with my band, that I havent, I was supposed to do it a few weeks ago, but I forgot lol...I figure I give a go at it, email chris asking him if its correct or sumthin ;) Now I gotta make some time.

As for it being boring I guess that is up to the individual. I play instrumental music and have tried to play with singer,but haven't found the right one. I actually feel that the guitar is one of the best "voices" in music.

With most of the instrumental albums I own, I don't miss vocals just the contrary, vocals can tend to get in the way sometimes,unless your Sir Russell (among others), anyways that is just my opinion. Check out some clips from Chris at his website.

Bear o_O