OT: Kansas album recommendations?

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
Hey, guys,

I've noticed that Russell Allen and a few other band members say they were influenced by Kansas.

Does anybody know which are Kansas' very best albums? If you could pick one, which one would you say I should try, and represents their best work?

Thanks! :)

(P.S.: I love "Carry On My Wayward Son"...some of the harmonies seem to have influenced "The Edge of Forever".)

Kansas was the american force against the strong british prog scene and without a shadow of doubt they are a prog legend. Towards the 80s they became more "light" and in that decade guitarist extraodinarie: Steve Morse joinend the band. Kansas was one of the first prog bands i discovered and i saw them live in 1999... amazing concert :worship: .

In my opinion their best disc is "Leftoverture" followed by "Point of now Return" and songs like "Carry on" and "Lamplight symphony" still make me cry.

Hope this help

Masque. Definitely Masque. Also, Since this is a first Kansas purchase, you could look into possibly Kansas: The Ultimate Collection (a 2 cd set) or perhaps even Sail Away: thes 30th anniversary collection (2 cds plus a DVD).

Glenn

RICH20WILLIAMS2007-26-0320RWF202003200620R.jpg
:tickled:

Kansas :headbang:

Richard Williams is a great guitarist.

The double live album "Device Voice Drum" is highly recommended for people new to Kansas, as it features virtually all of their essential prog epics (read: Carry On My Wayward Son, Miracles Out Of Nowhere, Song For America, Journey From Mariabronn...).

Perhaps the best thing about getting into Kansas is you can pull some really kick ass albums out of that $3.00 bin. I really haven't been let down by any Kansas album I randomly snagged, and they all have a really unique flavor to them.

WhoFooldU said:
Masque. Definitely Masque. Also, Since this is a first Kansas purchase, you could look into possibly Kansas: The Ultimate Collection (a 2 cd set) or perhaps even Sail Away: thes 30th anniversary collection (2 cds plus a DVD).

Glenn

I totally agree, The Pinnacle is one of the greatest songs of all time

Kerry Livgren was an incredible songwriter. I like the original band. He left and formed the Christian band called "AD" and released several LPs with them. IMO they were awful. I think the latest Kansas album has Kerry back with them. Anybody hear it, it is good? I think they are still together and tour sometimes. Steve Walsh survived a severe bout of throat cancer a few years ago.

dargormudshark said:
no concept albums I know of, but they all have christian thems on most of the songs

Acutually their early stuff (Up to Point of Know Return) had a "Spiritual Ambiguity" to the songs rather than just Christian Themes. It didn't really hone to a specific religion but more to different Philosophies, it could have been Budahism, Christian, Plato, Aristotle, Tzan Tsu, Miyamoto Musashi, or whatever. Later Kerry would be writing more songs that are christian songs and once you say "Jesus said so" then it's a turnoff for me.

As for the Albums to get, it would be the Holy Trilogy :p of Masque, Leftoverture, and Point of Know Return

rockmanxpr said:
Acutually their early stuff (Up to Point of Know Return) had a "Spiritual Ambiguity" to the songs rather than just Christian Themes. It didn't really hone to a specific religion but more to different Philosophies, it could have been Budahism, Christian, Plato, Aristotle, Tzan Tsu, Miyamoto Musashi, or whatever. Later Kerry would be writing more songs that are christian songs and once you say "Jesus said so" then it's a turnoff for me.

As for the Albums to get, it would be the Holy Trilogy :p of Masque, Leftoverture, and Point of Know Return

Lonely Wind from the first album is about Jesus, I also think the Pinnacle is more Christian than anything.

dargormudshark said:
Lonely Wind from the first album is about Jesus, I also think the Pinnacle is more Christian than anything.
The Wall is also very Judeo-Christian toned. Nonetheless, it's my favorite Kansas song. Steve Walsh is a huge influence to me vocally. I think it's what attracted me to Symphony X. There are many times Russell reminds me of Steve.

I am not at all bothered by Christianity and its values in music. I am only bothered if it's done poorly, in either the lyrical or musical sense.

It's a shame so many seem to confuse "contemporary Christian" music (BAD writing!) with "any music that makes a reference, however veiled, to the Christian religion". :/ There's a big difference.

Anyway, back to Kansas...as long as they can do what they do well, then I am open to any album with quality songwriting.

Rose Immortal said:
I am not at all bothered by Christianity and its values in music. I am only bothered if it's done poorly, in either the lyrical or musical sense.

It's a shame so many seem to confuse "contemporary Christian" music (BAD writing!) with "any music that makes a reference, however veiled, to the Christian religion". :/ There's a big difference.

Anyway, back to Kansas...as long as they can do what they do well, then I am open to any album with quality songwriting.

I agree 100%, same goes for the opposite. I don't take Dimmu's satanic lyrics seriously at all, but Dissection I take very seriously because it is written well.

Rose Immortal said:

I agree, as well.

I lost most of my collection moving from Germany back to the US, but my Best of remained. I never got around to replacing anything as the Best of has all my favorites. If you have any reservations you should start with The Best of Kansas. There is only one song I don't really care for on it, Song for America, but the rest are gold.