OT: Killer movies?

Yeah, the Dawn remake wasnt all that great, but it didnt suck because it had some really sweet gore.

I must say though, 28 Days Later was much, much better. Better written, better acted, and original, well, as original as a zombie flick can be.

See, i thought 28 days later was possibly one of the worst movies ever. I'm not kidding. I thouhgt it was absolutely horriffic. THe music didn't match the mood, the lighting didn't really work... it just failed for me on so many levels.

RobbM said:
Damn, I forgot about The Elephant Man...still freaks me out when I think that John Hurt played him...oh, and that Mel Brooks produced it...

Anyone see Shoulin Soccer & Kung Fu Hustle?

Hell yes, Stephen Chow movies are hella good, even though I've only seen the two you mentioned. Shaolin Soccer ranks high on my list of best movies ever.

You should watch Iron Monkey.

went and saw the movie 'Hostel' last night..

... and OH MY F$%#ING GOD!!!!!! ok I thought movies like 'Audition' and 'Saw 2' set the bar pretty high for gross horror stuff.. this takes the cake! Also the cool thing about it, is the twist is actually pretty good (and for you guys out there LOTS and LOTS of nudity, once even a full frontal by hot european women). One of the best horror/disturbing movies in my opinion.

i admit, the first half of nothing but teenage horniness is almost enough to make you wonder when the hell the good stuff will start.. but it does! Also until everything makes sense, you start to wonder if it will be just another cheesy horror movie, but once it all falls into place its cool.

DoomsdayZach said:
But it wasn't a horror movie. It was an hour and a half of kicking zombie's asses. I don't remember feeling frightened at any point in the movie.
I don't think it was horror either but it was supposed to appeal to horror fans, and it says horror in imdb.

They basically took the idea of dawn of the dead and those other old zombie movies and made it into an braindead action movie. I guess its enjoyable for what it is if you watch it with an open mind(a very open mind). It's just that more and more horror(supposedly horror) movies today are just action films with a little bit of scare and no depth at all what so ever. Other than the dawn remake, look at The Descent, Resident evil etc.

One has to realize that us true horror fans are completely and utterly desensitized to anything remotely scary and now its all about the gore, not the scare. On that note, Dawn really came thru with some of the best gore in the last few years. Its a shame though that Tom Savini didn't have anything to do with the FX or else it would have been even better.

When I first went to see Dawn of the Dead, I admit I was skeptical and thought it might turn out to be crap. HOWEVER, I was so pleasantly surprised by it. For its genre, it was such a good movie! The acting was decent, the storyline on par, normally horror movies get trashed by directors but this was not one of them.