OT: Panther in Spanish.

Nitronium Blood

UM BOARDS' JESTER
Dec 28, 2001
Marchin' up and down the scqaiya.
Visit site
This may be old news to some, but it certainly is new to me.

I'm sure most of you have seen the Headbangers Ball Dimebag tribute hosted by Dave Mustaine, where Dave mentions the old Pantera feud.

For years I have believed that his negative comments regarding Pantera ripping Megadeth off were prompted by a reporter who supposedly told Dave that his comments would be off the record. That Dave was very hesitant and meant no malice.

This was not the case, and being a huge Mustaine fan, it dissapoints me greatly. I can't believe the way he downplayed the event.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1458466/20021104/story.jhtml

Find a video link titled Megadeth's Dave Mustaine feels ripped off"

:erk:

I didn't know there was a feud.... beyond Dimebag not joining Megadeth because they already had a drummer and he wouldn't play without Vinnie.

I don't get why Dave always sounds like an obnoxious prick on every news blog I read. Do the media have a serious bias against him and are consequently mis-representing what he's saying, or does he really have such egocentric views?

Moonlapse said:
I don't get why Dave always sounds like an obnoxious prick on every news blog I read. Do the media have a serious bias against him and are consequently mis-representing what he's saying, or does he really have such egocentric views?

Or it's that he is, in a sense, right.

That quote is about "style," and not ripping off riffs, after all. And while had Met/Mega/Mustaine never existed someone else might have brought thrash to the forefront of metal, it is true that they were an undeniable influence to countless (and perhaps all, at least indirectly) metal musicians.

And I wonder how much of that little swipe is a tip towards the old glamtera argument...

At any rate, yeah he's harsh and opinionated. I think he deserves to be.

Moonlapse said:

Dave Mustaine has been this way for 20+ years. It's well documented. I've had the pleasure of knowing several guys that have worked with him in the studio and on stage. One of my old friends used to engineer for Max Norman (the genius, literally), and he told me some scary stuff about this guy and his attitude. Another guy that I know, who was actually in Megadeth, told me some mean-spirited stories about Mustaine that you just wouldn't believe. On the flip-side, I know another guy who was on Gigantour and he said that Mustaine took a liking to him and was very cool 100% of the time.

I remember when Dave said this. The flipside of this is that he's deeply a really insecure guy. I don't hate him, I feel sorry for him to an extent (albeit limited.) He's made a lot of major verbal blunders in the media and I'm sure he regrets this one in particular now, for obvious reasons.