OT: Very annoying website design!

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
In a tread Clammy announced that he was going to re-design the Exciter web page. I would be curious what he and you all thought of the most annoying website I could find.

Mind you, this is not a commercial site! Its the homepage of the excellent prog-metal band Adagio!

In my opinion that website is a perfect example of how *not* to design a website. Looks to me like that web designer is trying to show off and losing a user friendly interface out of sight

To name a few things:

- Sound: its really loud and obnoxious. Here you are listening to your favorite music and you decide to check out this website. You regret it the second you arrive!!

- Popup navigation menu: for the "News" part, this website uses a popup navigation menu. Annoying, because the info must fit into the popup making it small. Besides the designer did not design for any other browser than IE, thus when I use Firefox the popup navigation menu has no scrollbar.

- Vertical Flash Navigation Menu font: Its rolls up and the font is too way to small!

What do you think? Am I right?

Take a look here:

http://www.adagio-online.com/_fr/index.php

Indeed some things that can approve a lot...
That opening sound is a killer, like a rocket passing ...
Pop-ups are definitly not the way to build up a website.
Overall I've seen much worse pages, but this can be approved.
Like when I try to copy the url with ctrl-c it gives copyright alert.
when I tried to return to UM it seems to have disapeared...(when you
open navigation it deletes previous pages in history...)

On the other hand...I think that's a CD on top of my list Hawk...

ahah I do agree my friend, this website is plain annoying. Almost as bad as their live show, hum...

Should I add that I hate (most) Flash-designed websites? :D

Webmasters should keep in mind that people want to get the piece of information they need quickly.
Who cares the spectacular graphics / interface if it's slow and messy as hell?

Ok I'm out, I'm way too much old school :lol:

Fangface said:
ahah I do agree my friend, this website is plain annoying. Almost as bad as their live show, hum...

Should I add that I hate (most) Flash-designed websites? :D

Webmasters should keep in mind that people want to get the piece of information they need quickly.
Who cares the spectacular graphics / interface if it's slow and messy as hell?

Ok I'm out, I'm way too much old school :lol:
As far as I am concerned one can never be too old school! :D

Hawk said:
As far as I am concerned one can never be too old school! :D

ermmm, duh, I do have some oldschool limitations....
oudeVrouw.jpg

:D

For websites, the simpler the better! Don't need to be an expert to do a good job either. My brother designed a Gina Volpe (Lunachicks) fan site and it's quite good. If I can find the link I'll show ya :)

Fangface said:

It's better, some remarks though..
- when clicking a choise there allways is a new window opened which you have to close to make another choise.
- pop-up by start....well, free webspace I guess...
- It did take some time to figure out how to play samples...
- screen can be a little wider...