OTHER good artists/whatever on Tzadik?

ruins released 2 or 3 albums on tzadik (now on Ipecac) and yeah they're good (Lightning Bolt can be described as the poor man's Ruins)! tzadik has sooo much stuff that I want to hear that I'll probably never get to, just because their catalogue is 250 strong. There was one that we were listening to while we were in our mastering session that has gotta be one of the more recent releases, that i thought was incredible. Unfortunately I dunno who the artist was.

I would be willing to bet Zeena Parkins' album is great just because of her work with Bjork but again I haven't heard it.

Out of the Zorn jazz stuff, Bar Kokhba 1 or Masada Guitars (tree of life (2 hands) on the cover)

I'm starting with the classical stuff for my own curiosity and so far everything is AWESOME but I haven't heard anything I would recommend in particular.

Incidentally this November release of Anton Fier is something I REALLY am interested in, mostly because of the Kazu Makino guest appearance.

Well, everything Naked City and Painkiller should please the metal fans and else (Micj Harris, Mike Patton, Justin Broaderick, Bill Frisell etc...)

Masada is probably the most accomplished Zorn project, but you have to have at least a little liking for avantgarde jazz. Masada guitars that Toby mentionned is a good starting point.

As for other Zorn stuff I recommend, Bar Kokhba, The Big Gundown, Cobra. I would get the Filmworks last as it is difficult to sort through what is good and what isn't with so many releases.

If you like avant guitars i would recommend a lot of the Derek Bailey's output on Tzadik.

There is a few Peter Brotzmann on Tzadik and his stuff is always good.

Finally I would recommend Merzbow's 1930 on Tzadik, but I would get his alien8 records before.

I am yet to get into Ikue Mori's releases.

Of course there is the two Mike Patton solo releases that are worthwhile.

I also like most of the Fred Firth, Marc Ribot and Bill Laswell release on Tzadik but I only have a few of them so I wouldn't be able to recommend one over the other.

Hope that helps

Personally, i have yet to hear a substantial amount of artists on Tzadik, but of what i've heard, i love Ruins, Masada, Derek Bailey, and oh..that other band...Kayo Dot or something? (oohh that was a good one) Also, if you are into to the likes of Masada, i suggest check out Anthony Braxton (i think he's had releases on Tzadik). His music isn't very similar to Masada, but if you like avant-garde jazz he's good to check out. Tzadik really needs to put mp3s up on their website of their artists..it'd make things so much easier.

all of the Masada stuff is pretty great, especially Bar Kohkba as people have mentioned.

Zeena Parkins' albums are really cool

guitarist John Schott has a pretty cool record

I suspect anything Ribot has done is great, as he is probably my favorite jazz guitarist and has not let me down yet

Filmworks is hit and miss, but more often hit

I don't care for much of the Patton, Ruins, etc noisy stuff mostly cuz that sort of thing bores me. interesting to hear once, but nothing I would listen to repeatedly. That tends to fit the bill for a lot of Tzadik stuff IIMO unfortunately.

Bobby Previte's The 23 Constellations of Joan Miro, Fred Frith's Pacifica, and Derek Bailey's Ballads are my favorite Tzadik releases. Massacre is great too. And anything with Ikue Mori or Otomo Yoshihide on it is probably going to be awesome.

Hmm. Two of my top three favorite albums of 2002 are on Tzadik. However, my favorite is on ReR. The Skull Mailbox by Bob Drake!!! Check it out!

Looking forward to the Kayo Dot album.

I bought the SGM live cd recently, it's pretty disappointing, mostly just Nils talking to the audience between songs, and only a couple full length songs. I saw em in santa cruz and it was much better.

I really like Kitty Brazelton and Dafna Naphtali's "What is it Like to Be a Bat?"

If you like Fantomas, Naked City is basically where they stole their format from (but Naked City is better). My favorite Zorn album is Filmworks XIII: Invitation To A Suicide, but all the Masada albums I've heard have been good. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with many others on the label.