Otyg News

benny

Artifact Of Chaos
May 4, 2001
Seattle
www.myspace.com
Just got this in my email and don't have time to read it all as I am just hear for lunch. Anyway here it is.

Sad news coming up for all Otyg fans...

Otyg is now officially put to sleep

Please read the thorough explanation below:
" Both me(Vintersorg) and Mattias feel that we can’t go on with Otyg as we have lost
out burning inspiration and lust in that musical arena. And under those circumstances
we’ve decided to, instead of do a recording that we’ll never would have the true feeling
for and probably couldn’t fold our musical spirit into, just let it be.
Recordings just for the sake of it never turns out great, and our policy is to put our deepest
emotion and soul in what ever we do,so…..
We need to challenge ourselves to the utter edge or our abilities and unfortunately we
don’t have that situation. Maybe in the future we’ll do a recording if our minds and souls
wants that, but right now it would be to go back several years on our musical course which
every artist strive to avoid. Progression is far more exciting than regression!! "

Vintersorg & Mattias

i was doubting they would ever release another album too :cry:...:cry:

it is a very smart & respectable choice, still i can't help but feeling sad :cry:

I must say this pisses me off. I´ve waited patiently for this album for over two years. The only way to have done this with dignity would have been to record that last album and then call it quits.

Otyg meant so much more to me than Vintersorg/Borknagar/Havayoth-whatnot ever will do, put together.

A sad day.

Originally posted by winter-frost
Just got this in my email and don't have time to read it all as I am just hear for lunch. Anyway here it is.

Sad news coming up for all Otyg fans...

Otyg is now officially put to sleep

Please read the thorough explanation below:
" Both me(Vintersorg) and Mattias feel that we can’t go on with Otyg as we have lost
out burning inspiration and lust in that musical arena. And under those circumstances
we’ve decided to, instead of do a recording that we’ll never would have the true feeling
for and probably couldn’t fold our musical spirit into, just let it be.
Recordings just for the sake of it never turns out great, and our policy is to put our deepest
emotion and soul in what ever we do,so…..
We need to challenge ourselves to the utter edge or our abilities and unfortunately we
don’t have that situation. Maybe in the future we’ll do a recording if our minds and souls
wants that, but right now it would be to go back several years on our musical course which
every artist strive to avoid. Progression is far more exciting than regression!! "

Vintersorg & Mattias

Well.. thats really sad..
Don't know what to say more.
But I'm sure it was a good decision..

Originally posted by David Å.
I must say this pisses me off. I´ve waited patiently for this album for over two years. The only way to have done this with dignity would have been to record that last album and then call it quits.

Otyg meant so much more to me than Vintersorg/Borknagar/Havayoth-whatnot ever will do, put together.

A sad day.
I think it was a good decision, if they're not willing to put all their emotion to it, the album probably wouldn't be as good as the previous ones. Otyg would only expose themselves to unwanted criticism.
And if they release it only to satisfy their fans it would lose all meaning.

Fuck! Goddamn Vintersorg and Borknagar. I'm sure that's what the problem is, borknagar is taking up too much time. I don't blame him for joinging Borknagar, I actually was really looking forward to it. But then I got the album and found out that despite the great vocals, the music was just plain mediocre and uninspiring (for me). Otyg was one of the few promising metal projects left (in terms of growth and potential). Instead I guess he'll be concentrating on Vintersorg (I hope! he'd better not let that go!) and Borknagar. And if the next Borknagar isn't any better than the last....There'll be some unkind words from this mouth.....

Goddamn, and the new Otyg was supposed to be more progressively influenced too...... :cry:

The metal world continues to get worse....

Well, it's hard to keep up with many projects. And I do understand them so well. If you are not 100% behind the work you do, you won't be good! It's better to put something to sleep then bring out something you'll not be satisfied with...
Hopefully the flame starts burning again...one day...

And still I'm sad, sometimes it's nice to have the "face" but sometimes... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope Havayoth will stay alive... I love this project more than Otyg (R.I.P.) and that would really hit me... that would really put me down...

I, too, was really looking forward to another Otyg album. I'm quite sad, but not pissed off. I'll trust Mr. V. to do what's best for him and the music he make, but still :cry: .

Well, the Garmarna will hold me out for another year or so, and then I'll be itching for some new folk!

Well I just read it all a few times and I am pretty sad. All that waiting for a new album and it comes to this. I would much rather they stop it though instead of making a bad album. Thanks for making two fantastic albums.

Originally posted by The Nomad
I, too, was really looking forward to another Otyg album. I'm quite sad, but not pissed off. I'll trust Mr. V. to do what's best for him and the music he make, but still :cry: .

Well, the Garmarna will hold me out for another year or so, and then I'll be itching for some new folk!

Try gjallarhorn:D ;) :D ;)

I am sad as well about the Otyg news :cry: Maybe Vintersorg took more than he could handle...? Personally I am not crazy about Havayot, I personally think that one should have put to sleep, but this is only a matter of taste... It's good that they decide to not do an album if they don't feel it true to their emotions, but why napalm records said on their website that their new album would be recorded in april? Oh well maybe one day they will make one more album?

this is sad :cry:
but i do understand and respect the reasons...

I agree exactly with what Morgana said: "It's the most important thing, that they do what is best for them"

:cry:

I knew that it would cause a little stir with the Otyg news, but all I can say is that when you work with artristy it all comes down to true engagement, if you don't have the spirit you shouldn't even bother to do it, it's not like go to work at the grocery store 9-5. You live it 24h aday, and when the energy isn't there you'll only do a half good/bad job, i rather leave Otyg with nice memories and with a flavourish taste in my mouth, than see it fade away on the path of business(just completeing a contract)

You have to know when to quit, to many bands don't in my opinion!

well it's sad to hear, but for me if someone asked me if one had to end, which of the projects would I like it to be, I would have said Otyg for sure....
There's a new Vintersorg coming, there will be for sure a new Borknagar, somewhere in the future, and just let's hope there's a new Havayoth sooner or later (better if sooner :p )

Sigh... I never could pick a favorite between Vintersorg and Otyg, so it's like half of my favorite band just called it quits. At least it's not quite as hurtful as when Soundgarden broke up all those years ago before I knew of metal.

At least Vintersorg is still around... and Finntroll...

But still...:cry: