Jan 7, 2002
http://www.metalreviews.com/index.htm

WOODS OF YPRES - Woods III: The Deepest Roots And Darkest Blues
Krankenhaus

MTV Black Metal

15 songs (72:24)
Release year: 2008
Woods of Ypres, www.krankenhaus.ca

Canada is known for throwing out acts from the sicker, nastier end of the black metal spectrum (see: Blasphemy, Revenge) or the more ambient Quebec movement. So it's quite a surprise to hear the massively slick, shiny Woods Of Ypres. Now, the purist in me wants to turn the album off at the mere mention of the phrase “melodic black metal”, but seeing as I'm such a nice guy, who's willing to give anything a fair shot, let's press on, shall we?
Anyway, upon firing up The Northern Cold, the first thing you'll notice are the clean vocals. And, simply put, they're not very good. The singer can't carry a tune, but of course that's nothing new in the world of extreme metal. Anyway, he utilizes that massively pompous Ihsahn impression that so many symphonic black metal bands employ. Once again, that'd be fine, but Woods Of Ypres are definitely not a symphonic black metal band. Polished sure, but instead of an orchestrated wall of sound, the band use melodic riffs lashed to conventional song structures. Worryingly, it sounds as if they're trying to court the alternative rock crowd, which quite frankly, is nothing short of an affront to the genre and everything it stands for. Coupled with some really quite shockingly angsty lyrics, I was sorely tempted to turn the thing off in disgust.
Still, not wishing to look some some kind of knuckle-dragging troglodyte, I'm will continue to persevere with this, to find something of value. Well, when the band aren't fawning shamelessly to a mainstream audience, they can write something of value. The two-part title track contains a fair amount of vicious riffery, aggression, and growls. Even the clean vocals aren't awful, being used sparingly for effect, like they should be used. The Northern Cold and Iron Grudge also manage to have enough decent material to avoid being offensive. Unfortunately, once we arrive at Your Ontario Town Is A Burial Ground, things take an absolute swan dive in quality. After a nice-ish clean intro (these turn up on almost every song, and seem to be the only thing they can do consistently well) it turns into a shitty radio metal tune with a touch of blackened frosting. This is something far worse than the enjoyably silly gothic fare of say, Cradle Of Filth. This is MTV black metal, made all the worse due to it's tumour-serious nature. At least Cradle Of Filth are clearly aware of how silly they are. This, by contrast, is utterly sour-faced and joyless.
This has been compared favorably to Opeth, Agalloch and even the peerless Ulver in some reviews, and quite frankly Woods Of Ypres would do well to take a leaf out of their book. Those three bands all have at least a shred of integrity (well, I'm sure the purists among you will cry foul at Opeth). The “look how black metal we are” lyrics of Through The Chaos And Solitude I Came are nothing short of outrageous considering this is one of the worst attempts at mainstream crossover carried out in the history of metal. Seriously, it's just that bad. And this comes from a reviewer who thought The Unspoken King was underrated...

Killing Songs : Nothing here deserves the tag "killer". James 12 / 100
Other albums by Woods of Ypres that we have reviewed:
Woods of Ypres - Pursuit Of The Sun and Allure Of The Earth (reviewed by Crims and quoted 93 / 100)
Woods of Ypres - Against The Seasons (reviewed by Misha and quoted 80 / 100)
4 readers voted
Average:
Median:
Log onto the forum to enable voting

Support the website - buy Woods III: The Deepest Roots And Darkest Blues directly from:

I don't think he knows what he's talking about... I think he put on the wrong CD or something, but then again he's allowed his opinion no matter how far off the mark it is. I don't see Woods of Ypres (or any black metal for that matter) being featured on MTV anytime soon. I mean they don't write emo music and wear womans jeans.

Joel

that review is coming from a guy who for whatever reason decided to review Opeth's first record, Orchid, just recently. why?

obviously a Johnny-Come-Lately with a chip on his shoulder. i could go on and on, but i'll spare you.

you have to take reviews with a grain of salt. there will always be people trying to tear you down.

How can you say a song like "Distractions" or "December in Windsor" are without motion, or badly written? I've talked to people who don't particularly care for this album, or find some songs mediocre, but enjoy others, but at least all can say that its a well written album, and none have dared to attack the integrity or emotion of the writing, which as an artist, is all you can ask for. In other words, this review is dumb as hell.

I finally got around to reading this review today and though i havent logged into this forum for (chances are) over a year, i am floored. I think Woods is only growing and getting better with every release, exploring new territory and creating atmospheres that truly envelope the seasons and the bleakness that canada can possess. to say that dave gold can't carry a tune is ridiculous. Woods II is a masterpiece created by Mr. Dave Gold himself (put that in your pipe and smoke it) and to call his vocals on the new release weak are ridiculous. Dave has one of my favorite clean voices in metal, right up there with Borknagar's "epic" release and Vortex on Dimmu's stuff. This reviewer, though obviously having a right to his own opinion, was fucking harsh. i mean, come on, a 12!? I guess if it's not recorded on an analog 4 track stolen from a thrift shop and mixed in a cabin in norway (though nothing wrong with that), then he won't be having it as far as 'black metal' goes. What can ya do...

Why 12? I mean, why specifically? Why not 11, or 13?

..... sorry, these are the type of things I think about...

it seems that with Woods discs... they just CLICK. my friend in Sudbury band BEYOND WITHIN was telling me how much he hated W3 then one day he messaged me and said.. I get it. i love this disc.
so either this man didnt GET the disc.. or he was just out to write a bad review before an honest listen
there is so much emotion and power behind every song on this album
i remember the endless rants about dave using the black metal term in through chaos and solitude.. but then he wrote the huge speel about why and it honestly made sense and clicked :hails:

at the end of the day tho. good with the bad. its humbling and keeps you grounded

Hello Sunshine,

Trying to discourage me is like that scene from the new Batman movie 'The Dark Night" where Batman is trying to beat the shit out of the Joker, but the harder he hits him, the more the Joker laughs in his face. He almost seems to fuckin' enjoy it! HE'S THAT CRAZY! But then again, who can blame him? He's had a tough life. :) This guy's review is nothing new, just the latest jerk from a long line of jerks. Of course, I much prefer good news in my morning e-mail, and overall these things are still nuisances, but laughable ones. Please allow me to explain...

Reviews like this don't change a damn thing. All these kids can go ahead and write whatever negative reviews they want. Go ahead, I want you to! Just look at this one thread to see how much attention and debate it brings to the band every time one of 'these' comes up.

One other important thing I'll note...about "Through Chaos and Solitude I Came", for all these assuming, young, angry, frustrated, outcast, semi-intelligent, dime-a-dozen, know it all suburban black metal kids spending their infinite free time writing and posting their low scoring reviews of WOODS OF YPRES albums...it seems 100% of you fail to consider that "Through Chaos..." is actually about YOU and YOUR perspective! There is a twist in the meaning of that song during the final verse (if you payed attention). The message is BEWARE of your own opinions, you could be totally wrong. Also, I'll add, don't be a fuckin' dick! It won't get you anywhere. It makes perfect sense to me that the people who connect with WoY and take something positive from it are the same types of people I could relax and have a few beers with a show, while in my own pompous opinion, the people who take their time to attack my little, obviously VERY relevant independent band, are everything I think is wrong with the metal scenes the world over and dickhead society as a whole. There are good, decent people out there and of course there are douchebags who can only try to tear you down, but always remember that there ARE still good people out there doing good positive things, and that's what really actually matters. Find those people and enjoy your life! Fuck the rest of all that shit. It doesn't matter. It's like, if WoY only received positive reviews, I think I'd have to reexamine my own beliefs on the balance of positivity / negativity of this world, but seeing reviews like these reaffirms exactly what I am expressing in the music of WoY. + What goes around comes around, you get what you put in, that metal girl at your school or work probably listens to WOODS, even if you don't, etc...

Basically, the sun is shining bright and the universe is on 'our' side (you know who you are)!

Have a great godamned day you bastards!!! I love ya! :kickass:

DG - \w/

+...

- WoY is not on MTV, nor have I ever watched it in my life. I couldn't even tell you if they play metal!

- "Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground" is my favourite song on "Woods III". That driving, gothic rock sound with a traditional 'pop' arrangement was exactly what we were going for. That song will live on! Just watch!!!

- Every WoY album receives this kind of initial reaction when it comes out, and by the time the NEXT album is released, the previous once becomes the benchmark, and the cycle goes on. Honestly, in my opinion, the three WoY albums are not that different. So how credible is a site who can score the first two so high, and the most recent one so ridiculously low?

Killing Songs : Nothing here deserves the tag "killer". James 12 / 100

Other albums by Woods of Ypres that we have reviewed:
Woods of Ypres - Pursuit Of The Sun and Allure Of The Earth (reviewed by Crims and quoted 93 / 100)
Woods of Ypres - Against The Seasons (reviewed by Misha and quoted 80 / 100)

It seems that the quality of WoY albums is MUCH more consistent than that of the reviews happening here.

:rolleyes:

An interesting story for you, in the wake up all this ridiculousness. I actually showed WIII to one of my online buddies on a forum I visit regularly. He really loves black metal and knows his shit, as well as with other types of metal. Anyway, by about the third or fourth song, he said "dude, this isn't black metal at all". I responded with that its more melodic black metal, and was expecting a response about how the album sucked, but he instead said "its fantastic". So there :p I think too, people who have never heard WoY before are expecting some sort of raw black metal, but when they come across something different they just shut down immediately, and stop paying attention to what they're even hearing, cause its not what they expected. Just a couple of ideas.

'Black Metal' was always just a reference point we gave to people, back when we were completely unknown, so they might know where to start. I won't be continuing to call WoY 'black metal' in the future because of all the distracting horseshit that comes with it and all the pointless rants from douchebags about it, though WoY will still write new music with 'black metal' elements.

I disagree with the negative review. Some people, like this guy, just look for petty excuses to be negative. It's like people who don't want to tip when they go out to eat so they look for every conceivable reason (my water went unfilled, I wasn't called "sir" enough, etc.) to justify, in their own mind, stiffing their server. This guy is doing the same thing but instead griping about shit that doesn't even seem rooted in reality.