Our first Review for DARK DECEIVER!!!

Right on and I'm happy to hear people are starting to receive it and very pleased to hear the positive response on DD.

Yes Intromental handles ZH in Scandinavia.

I just got back from the distribution party of Big Daddy in NY. Very cool people we're distributed by in the USA by and was great to meet everyone.

Brett your shirt will be your way Tuesday man and thanks so much bro. You basically have every ZH shirt.....YOU SO RULE MAN!!

I'm in NY and I saw Dark Deceiver today in Virgin Mega store. I guess there was a mix up but cool to see it there already.

Hope I answered everyone and talk to you all soon.

Jay

You're in NY? Man, if you were in Syracuse that'd be my town! :lol:

Review coming up---- impressions on first listen, post this anywhere/everywhere and/or do what you want with it!

1. The Power To Believe
As soon as you hit play, you're under sonic attack: Zero Hour hits you with a showcase of why they're still ahead of everyone else in the genre. While other bands just rehash riffs and use the same old themes and schema, ZH reinvents themselves each album, but still manages to express their unique iconic style. Sweeping guitar, rhythmic and somehow conscious percussion, blistering bass, soaring vocals - there really is no "background" here. It's all up front, nobody buried in the mix, nobody not pulling their weight. The entire band has incredible skill and the more important skill of knowing how and when to use it to create landscapes of sound that don't disappoint. The Power To Believe is no exception, this is a headbanging slamfest of sound.
2. Dark Deceiver
picks up the baton and keeps slaying. The lofty vocal passages are strong and contrast with the deep sort of chanting. There's a section here just before 1:30 where Mikey rolls off some inhuman chops on the drumkit. Then the pace slows and you get a peaceful interlude, ending immediately in a lightspeed guitar solo by Jasun and Troy. The sound is tight and punchy. Like their last album Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, ZH and Dino Alden did an excellent job once again.
3. Inner Spirit.
At 12 minutes, this is the longest track on the album. Fans of Towers of Avarice might expect something to rival Demise & Vestige. They won't be left wanting. It destroys with a maelstrom of sound and technical mastery. At about 6 minutes, the pace slows and Chris calmly sings confidently a catchy melody. The guy can do soaring screams, deep snarls, and this crystal clear mid range. He's incredible. Another reviewer compared this section to Geoff Tate. I definitely hear what he was talking about, except this would rival Tate back in the 80s, and best him! I also hear tones reminiscent of Devon Graves, of Dead Soul Tribe. Zero Hour has in Chris the final piece to their exposition of the ultra-talented.
4. Resurrection
begins with some incredible bass beneath Jasun's trademark sweeps and Mikey's machinegun drums. At about 30 seconds, the band breaks into a melodic riff that builds and fades like an ocean tide. Lots of energy and a sense of movement, of being pulled forward. Chris roars.
5. Tendonitis.
This insturmental bass solo is a bitchslap in the face of Troy's tendonitis. Injury, take that! You'll have to stop the album, hit "replay" and hear it again before continuing. And then pause before track 6 so you can pick up your jaw or your bass in awe.
6. The Temple Within.
The first time I heard this was in New York City over a year ago. Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond had just come out, and some fans were worried about the future of Zero Hour. To bury any worry in the ground, and show off their new vocalist Chris Salinas, during the set they announced and played a song from the then upcoming and unnamed 5th album - The Temple Within. I was incredibly impressed. Not only did the song totally rip, but the band, who had not yet had the time to play it as many times as say, something off Towers or Metamorphosis, sounded expertly tight. Here it was a live song, with studio quality performance, and brilliant song writing. After the show, the song I wanted to hear again was this one! Troy's bass rolls on and on as if his endurance is unending, Jasun lays down epic riff after epic riff, Mike knows just what drums and cymbals to play to not just be "that drummer guy" that could be substituted for a machine. He brings a soul to his style that makes him a melodic contributor that's essential to ZH's sound. On The Temple Within, his cymbal 16th notes help make the song what it is- awesome.
7. Lies
Again Chris shows Geoff Tate how to sing. About half way through the song, they fade the mix out of the whole band except Chris, who darkly whispers... and then it crashes back in. The harmony vocals, reminiscent of a sort of metal version of Gregorian chant, are proof that ZH isn't afraid to try unconventional means to express themselves. And that's what makes them actually progressive, while other bands just claim to be or write a song in 7/4 for no reason.
8. The Passion of Words
The passion is evident. There is such a force behind the music here, and especially in the vocals. "I'll give you heaven!!" At around 2:30, again the band drops out for a moment while Chris calmly speaks, and then.... ZH fans will remember the epic moment on the Towers of Avarice album "I was still not the tiiiiiide". This is that moment for Dark Deceiver. And just as impressive. "You're falling, you're falling!"
9. Severed Angel
Silence. Fading in, the band sounds like a warzone. It gets louder and more frequent, like bomb blasts, with the near quiet ambient sound of intense technicality. Lots of reverb. Like an empty cathedral during a metal sound check. And then jam. Jam and fade, back to ambient, only to be assaulted again! Immediately asks to go back to track 1 and listen again! Dino's back up vocals on the album are as great as his production abilities.

5/5

Kenneth.....SO METAL to take the time out to write this review so quick my bro. I thank you so much for taking the time out to do this as a review like this will help so much.

More than anything I'm just so happy that YOU dig it man. As a listener of ZH from the beginning and has the whole catalog. I'm just so happy the CD is speaking to you my bro.

I have to give a HUGE shout out to DINO ALDEN who just made this CD happen. His hard work and talent is what it's all about. This wasn't a easy CD, a lot of hard work was put into it and Dino you're the BEST man.

Thank you so much again Kenneth and everyone for picking it up.

Jasun

Hell yeah man!

My job right now involves a lot of driving, and it's the only CD in the deck all night.:headbang:
img000004gi9.jpg

And the more I listen, the more I love it. That seems to happen a lot with you guys. I've got to promote ZH more with my bros cause there is no band as awesome. You rule!

Dude that means a hell of a lot. That's awesome with everything listen you hear more, enjoy more and that is what we try with every release.

THANK YOU for letting us know my bro Kenneth. this is what it's all about for us. We always want to create music that we really feel strongly about and to hear the listeners really enjoy it is the BEST.

Hope we can hit some shows out and see you soon Kenneth....YOU RULE!!

Jasun

Great review Ken you really need to do this at a professional level I am sure some sites would love to have you write for them

I actually did some stuff with a friend of mine (doomsdayzach) for Global Domination. I reviewed the cover art and he reviewed the music. If anyone needs a critic, I'm game. :lol:

A reviewer friend has the promo and he says it's the band's most intense album yet. He said it's so chaotic that's it's one step away from being completely unlistenable, the audio equivalent of the images that give people epileptic seizures. Haha! But he says it's awesome!

I can't wait to hear it.

A reviewer friend has the promo and he says it's the band's most intense album yet. He said it's so chaotic that's it's one step away from being completely unlistenable, the audio equivalent of the images that give people epileptic seizures. Haha! But he says it's awesome!

I can't wait to hear it.

That's a good description of it. It slays :headbang:

Right on Sava and STOKED you dig it.

Right on Progmetaldan...... Thanks for grabbing all the CD's man and hope you enjoy them all.

METAL and have a great weekend everyone.

Jasun

Another awesome review and want to thank Carlos for letting us know about the review.

http://www.smnnews.com/category/reviews/

If you read my review of the Blotted Science album a few weeks back, you’ll know how dear I hold bands like Fates Warning, Watchtower and Spiral Architect close to my heart. California quartet, Zero Hour has been playing the kind of hi-tech progressive metal that not only falls into this kind of categorization, but also lives up to the mighty legacies these bands have created for themselves. ZH’s new album, Dark Deceiver is the sound of a band driving forward with complete comfort and control. Guitarist Jasun Tipton leads the charge, pulling out every guitar trick out of the Shrapnel Records (circa 1989) catalog along the way. There are neo-classical twin-harmonies, shred runs and the kinds of buzzing arpeggios that would make Tony MacAlpine jealous in his glory days!

Sure, Tipton isn’t the only guitarist doing this kind of thing right now but few bands pack the songwriting muscle that ZH do. Tracks like “Lies” and “Resurrection” might be filled to the gills with acrobatic guitar lines, but there are strong songs at the foundation of them. Vocal dynamo, Chris Salinas also breaks out on this one proving why he is one of the most popular front men in the progressive community today. His high-pitched stuff here is right up there with Jon Arch (Fates Warning) and his more mid-ranged lines brought Russ Anderson from Forbidden to mind.

The choppy arrangements might prove to be too intense for mainstream listeners but their blend of challenging time signatures and seamless hooks should not be ignored by more adventurous metal fans. The twisting cyclones in “Power to Believe” alone are worth the price of admission! Mike Guy (drums) and Troy Tipton (bass) are the kind of rhythm section that a band of this level absolutely has to have to be able to pull this kind of material off. Guy’s footwork is awe-inspiring and definitely puts him in a class all to himself! So let it be known, Zero Hour has crafted a true modern day progressive metal classic with Dark Deceiver. The question is will people discover it.

Rating: 8.5/10
Label: Sensory Records

By Carlos Ramirez