Outboard EQ or Compressor?

C-Martin

Mar 8, 2009
Montreal
www.soundclick.com
So i've been saving up for some outboard gear and, although i have a pretty good idea of what i want, i cannot afford to get everything all at once so i have to chose a starting point and i am unsure which will be the best route. I mainly want something good that won't be worse than any plugin i already have (waves ssl, api and CLA comps is what i mainly use) and will actually help me get better results. I'm looking to stay under 2k preferably closer to the 1k mark and i'd like to have atleast 2 channels to do stereo work. I know people tend to debate the hardware vs plugin EQ deal but i don't want to start one of those again. Plugins just don't EQ handle highs like hardware EQ and there are other benefits from using a hardware EQ like using it on the way in.

Stuff i've been looking at are:

JDK R24
Toft ATB 4 (This one is quite interesting with 4 channels of EQ on top of summing and preamps for barely 450$ per channel)

JDK R22
CLX-VU 160 (Found this online, basically a pair of DBX 160 clones)
1176 clone (Would only be able to get one which i find a bit limiting to start of with, but i know it and love it)

Any of you have any other suggestions or experience you'd like to share? Would starting with outboard EQ's provide more benifits than comps or would it be the other way arround?

I've been looking into eventually getting an analog compressor and limiter but I'm not sure how I'd use it in the mastering stage.

CLX-VU 160 (Found this online, basically a pair of DBX 160 clones)

CLX-VU 160 = $1059
two DBX 160A = [ame="http://www.amazon.com/DBX-160-AD-Compressor-Limiter/dp/B0002H0QGE"]$859[/ame]

Also if you want good amount of "cheap" analog preamps and EQ's, get a Midas Venice (~3500 for the 16 channel version and ~5500 for the 32 channel version). The preamps and EQ's sound wonderful.

I would start to build an SSL X-Rack, you seem to be shure to get into hardware, so I would go for a nice (closed) combination.

Personally, I would start with a Stereo comp and the rack, of course;), and I would buy used...

Compressors FTW.

I can recommend you to get a 1176 or a distressor. Prime-analogue do really good clones, several members here have his clones including me and Lasse and Jipchen i belive. Cheap, and superb quality

I've heard good things about the Speck ASC. It's is a 4 band parametric EQ which you can pick up for $500-600, so two of them should be within your budget. Might be worth a look.

For compressors i'd suggest a distressor like has already been mentioned a few times. The Purple Audio Action compressor for API 500 series is supposed to modeled after the 1176, so that might also be worth looking into if you decide to go the 500 series route.

CLX-VU 160 = $1059
two DBX 160A = $859

The thing is that the CLX is a clone of the 160VU, not the 160A. I have nothing against the 160A, they work great, but if i'm gonna be getting some outboard i want to get some higher end stuff that will be showing a bigger difference than most mid to low range stuff would. If i have to pay a few hundreds more for something that's definitely better, then i will.

I don't really need preamps for the moment, i have enough for what i need right now plus i would need to get some AD's if i wanted more Pre's which would go over my budget.

I have looked at the 500 series and the Xrack. The problem with the Xrack is just the rack itself is almost 1k and its near impossible to find used at lower prices which would leave me with an empty rack that isn't really going to do me any good until i start getting modules for it. That said, once that is all said and done i would have a really solid mixing rig but it would take time and i'm looking at something i can start using immediately on the projects i'll be working on in the following months.

500 series might be a valid option, i have been curious about the API 527 comps. The thing to keep in mind is i'd like to have a pair of channels for stereo work which is why stuff like JDK or the Toft looked very interesting to me. This is why i'm not jumping all over a 1176 clone, just having 1 to start off with seems a bit limiting since it won't be able to do "that" much with it on its own. It is a must have though, i agree, so i guess i couldn't go wrong with it regardless.

Anyone know anything about the Toft EQ's? Are they really as good as they advertise it being?

Start with compression.

On a side note, I just read an article with Nick Raskulinecz (producer for Deftones, Rush, Shadows Fall, Alice in Chains) and he was talking about how the dbx 160 XT was his favorite compressor. They're only a couple hundred bucks each. Very interesting!

The 160 VU is a flat out amazing comp.

Anyone know anything about the Toft EQ's? Are they really as good as they advertise it being?

Yes. We have ATB24 at the studio and the EQ's are very good, BUT they're not surgical by any stretch. More tone tools / sound shaping than anything, imo. I use the EQ's a lot during tracking to get the basic sounds and then do the rest in PT.

The 4 channel version seems a bit .. odd to me, price vs. performance, but then again if you don't have the room (even for the 16 ch version)... But it looks so cute!! :eek:

Anyway. Let's just say that tracking drums has been a lot easier after getting the desk.

Start with compression.

On a side note, I just read an article with Nick Raskulinecz (producer for Deftones, Rush, Shadows Fall, Alice in Chains) and he was talking about how the dbx 160 XT was his favorite compressor. They're only a couple hundred bucks each. Very interesting!

The 160 VU is a flat out amazing comp.

Sweet :D I just got my hands on 1 of these bad boys

Thanks for all the input guys, i've decided to start off with a few selected compressors. I found an ssl 4k bus comp clone i can get used for around 600$ which seems like a killer deal and i'm just gonna live with having just 1 1176. I found seller that has one for 1k which would all fit in my budget.

Should hold me up until i can afford more stuff, i just hope i'm making the right decision here. Guess i'll find out soon enough.