output transformer

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
i think the transformer blew on my road king right in the middle of reamping.

i hardly use it pushed and the transformer in there now is from 2 years ago (under warranty at the time)..

it's a series one i got like 6 years ago when it first came out and it already has a replaced tranny and i think it blew again haven't taken it to the tech. point being, since it's past the warranty and i probably will have to buy one am i better off getting an aftermarket one like the mercury or stick with stock mesa? any input on this? experiences? thoughts?

ps - it might not be the tranny just in case i'll explain the problem i'm having. the sound seems thing on every channel, ever setting. when i try pushing the volume past 2 or so it breaks up and dies out. i smell a bit of smoking in the back of the amp and there is a weird noise. when i flick the el34 triode/pentode switch in the back the noise increases and seems to away when it is on pentode mode (at least not as bad)

the switch issue makes me think the transformer has nothign to do with it, but the volume problem is similar to the one i had a few years back when they upgraded the tranny.

i'm not fluent in this topic care to explain what some differences are???

If you are not intimedated by your amplifier leave it turned off for a few hours.

step -1
Let it cool off then unplug it from the wall socket and undo the bolts going into the metal chassis.

Hazard do not touch the electronics unless the amp/capacitors have been grounded or wear rubber gloves or get an electrcian to do it for you.

Step -2
Slide the chassis out and place 2 pieces of wood under each end of the chassis so as not to damage the valves and turn it upside down so you can see the PCB.

General problems with Mesa boogie tend to be putting the wrong type of replacement tubes in them which cause over heating on the PCB!!

What transformer is in there if you need the original part number for the mesa all you have to do is ask me ??

There are better transformers than the MM but they may cost a little more.

a little confused by your post baron but all the tubes i put in there are stock mesa 6l6 and el34.

I was wondering if you used another brand of tubes because mesa amps are designed to only use mesa tubes spec tubes, which you may already know.

If you decided to open up the amp and read my previouse post. I suspect you may find smoke around a burnt out component on the pcb and if its not on the main pcb it may be on the power board, let me know if you do??

The pic above was of a mesa I had a look at.

If I recall correctly mesa had to change some components on the Trem-o-verbs as they used to cook 2 resistors on the early revisions and Mesa might of made the same mistake again!!