so what should i do with my 5150 now? :s

rispsira

Mar 18, 2010
Hi all! i finally bought my 5150, the first version. Found a good deal locally and its really clean!

Only problem is its in 220vlts (local voltage) but all my gear is from the US going through a step down transformer and the furman AR-pro.

Im afraid if i change it to 110vlts will need a new transformer and it will f*&^ with the sound?

What do you guys think?

Also can you recommend me some tubes for that one?
I read that some of you like the winged C, the sovteks?

So far ive only been using JJ's from eurotubes to retube my mesas.

Thanks!

no idea about the voltage stuff
ive got winged c's in mine and i think it sounds awweeesome :)

thanks for the reply man!!

Have you compared the JJ's to the winged Cs?

Also may i ask which type of C's you got?

Thanks!

Changing the power transformer to a Peavey 110 voltage one shouldn't the sound. Or at least very very very negligible. Basically I wouldn't worry about it.

I would just get a new conditioner and run it off the local 220 power.

But if you really want to keep all your gear US spec, then just order one from Peavey. Or you can even upgrade with a better transformer. Honestly though, at the end of the day, the power transformer has little to do with the sound. The power noise then with all the filtering through the caps, rectifier, etc. will cancel out any transformer effects. Tone snobs may disagree, but assuming the transformer is properly rated, power is power inside the amp.

JJ's tend to bias very very cold. Add that to the already cold bias of Peavey amps (and most manufacturers) and limited range, you will need to mod the bias circuit. It is typically one resistor, so not a big deal, check the net.

Actually the 6505/5150 (not + or II) won't even be adjustable. Even if the tubes are order "to Peavey 5150" spec or whatever, they still end up super cold. Cold is not necessarily bad, I like high gain amps a little cold, but you do loose a sense of openness and liveliness. Properly biased amps seem to breathe more. The 5150 sounds a lot better biased up.

SED/Winged C's and most other brands I have used (that aren't just rebrands, ie. most Groove Tubes) bias up right.

Sound-wise, properly biased, JJ's have a tendency to be a bit darkish but muscular. SED, a bit more even but still punchy with a lot of control. Damn I hate describing this crap, but hope that helps. Of course amps are different but this is a trend I have seen with my amps, amps I have worked on, and online chatter.

Both sound killer in 5150's. Most guitarists don't properly A/B, so different=better. Most of the time I think they are just hearing the new tubes and getting away from the Sovteks in there which are average.

Bottom line, don't sweat it too much. 5150s crush even with lackluster tubes, the average stock transformers, etc.

I replaced winged Cs in my Marshall TSL with JJ KT77s and noticed a pretty big difference. Of course the EL34s that were in there were pretty much dead but I do remember never really being satisfied with the winged Cs. On the other hand, I don't know if I was displeased with the tubes or the fact that they were EL34s. I find the 77s a little more 6L6ish which is more my cup o' tea. YMMV.

I've had good results with JJs in my 5150(all I've ever had in them) and my Boogie Dual Rec. Again, YMMV.

Sorry for the late reply, i greatly appreciate your help , and all that usefull info!

Thanks!