Outsider Metal

Finnish Sarcofagus is basically to traditional metal what Flames of Hell is to black metal. Active early in the game before the sound of the genre had really been calcified, their music is totally distinct from anything that was coming out of the NWOBHM movement at that time.

This should count too:

I think this is the kind of band that is outsider due to isolation or non-participation in a scene which usually leads to gradually imposing conventions on a band. Bretwaldas of Heathen Doom sounds like what it looks like, two limey blokes living rurally and just throwing all their favourite music into their practice sessions until they come out with a bunch of metal songs that contain elements of black metal, heavy metal, doom metal, punk, folk music, drone and even some shimmering instrumental surf era rock.

I knew I was in for something a bit different when I first got the tape and saw their band photo:

View attachment 18519

View attachment 18518

This kicks ass, I love when metal bands (successfully) mix and match stylistic traits from all over instead of trying to shoehorn themselves into any particular subgenre, why be one thing when you can be black doom metal motorhead surf rock sodom.

unrelated, but eastern europe and japan are good places for 'outsider metal' methinks.

And Italy, let's not forget Italy.

In a way Bretwaldas were doing what Darkthrone did post-The Cult is Alive but way before them, with their brand of curmudgeon black heavy metal.

i guess fireaxe applies as well. very beloved by a choice few people on metal boards in the past, maligned by everybody else for being the most pretentious bedroom trad metal act in the history of the universe. debut album has a 1.83 average rating on RYM lol, i can't find it online now unfortunately, but here's his fucking triple album (at least listen to the start lol), and here's a few fireaxe reviews i found:

This album was funny for a song or two then I just got fucking furious. Yes, it is that bad.

Conceptual heavy metal of the highest order! Three discs long yet never bores but intrigues all the way through. Only Stained Class and Awaken the Guardian can compare. Brian Voth is one of underground metal's few true visionaries we have.

An absolute fucking abomination. Avoid.

Fireaxe is now the measuring stick by which all Metal should now be judged.

I think the content surpasses anything I've heard in metal music or music in general for a long time, if ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy
I meant to post in this thread but didnt for whatever reason. My choice is Endless Dismal Moan. Some weird guy from Japan released 4 albums of black metal that sounds like no other (3 if you dont want to count his first album because its technically a demo comp but its his best you faggot) then kills himself.

What we're left with is black metal infused with industrial music and japanese horror movie music. I've never heard anything quite like it.... and I'm convinced it doesnt fucking exist. Metal from a damaged mind.

"Michael Stevens of Timeghoul (R.I.P.)'s fun Death Doom Metal project Inspired by fans and bands I've come in contact with. Enjoy!!! THIS IS NOT A NORMAL EXPERIENCE FOR YOUR EARS. All music instruments programing etc by Michael Stevens."

Reactions: Sophii and jimmy101

I found these guys from another user here on UM. Drum and bass only brutal death metal that just sounds utterly bizarre.

Reactions: CiG
I meant to post in this thread but didnt for whatever reason. My choice is Endless Dismal Moan. Some weird guy from Japan released 4 albums of black metal that sounds like no other (3 if you dont want to count his first album because its technically a demo comp but its his best you faggot) then kills himself.

What we're left with is black metal infused with industrial music and japanese horror movie music. I've never heard anything quite like it.... and I'm convinced it doesnt fucking exist. Metal from a damaged mind.

I can confirm it exists - I saw Endless Dismal Moan live! It was really weird and eerie, and it was in a small club in either Osaka or Kobe - I'll have to check when I am home, because I think I may have even recorded the show on MD. I bought some demo CD-Rs from him after. I was sad to find out he committed suicide a few years later.

I tried to Google to see if I could find the date and location of the show online, and I found one better - turns out I'm not the only one who recorded it, because someone put it on YouTube, and I never circulated my MD. How wild is that?