Overdrive Pedals

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
So what's everyone's favorite overdrive pedals to use? I actually own the Maxon OD-808 that I use on occasion (mostly as a solo boost). I just came back from Guitar Center where I gave 3 pedals an extensive test drive and comparison:

BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive
MXR ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer Reissue

I plugged a stock Gibson LP Standard into a Mesa Stiletto that was ran into a Mesa Recto (Oversized, Slant) 4X12 Cab. I used the exact same settings on all 3 and put them through the wringer. The Gain was on "0," the Tone around 9 o'clock, and the Level/Output around 3 o'clock.

I gave the TS-808 a try first, and it didn't sound bad. It added a little extra bite to the amp, and it beefed up the passive pickups some. Only a slight drop in bass when it was on too. The ZW-44 was up next. It seemed to give me a little clearer top end than the TS-808, and the bass response was about the same. It added a little extra grit, and palm mutes were pretty nice sounding. The SD-1 was last. It didn't add much extra grit (about the same as the TS-808), and it actually had a clearer top than the other 2 (which surprised me). You did lose a little more bass woith the SD-1 than with the other 2, but I think I actually liked the tonal coloration it provided more.

Overall, I was suprised that after spending about 20 minutes per pedal side by side, I found myself liking the $49 BOSS SD-1 more than it's more expensive counterparts.

What pedals do you like, and have you done any comparisons?

I have the TS-808 myself and I am interested in the Maxon OD 808. I haven't tried the SD-1 or the Zakk. I like my TS-808 a lot, but having true bypass would be nice.

Kazrog said:
I have the TS-808 myself and I am interested in the Maxon OD 808. I haven't tried the SD-1 or the Zakk. I like my TS-808 a lot, but having true bypass would be nice.

I've owned the Maxon OD-808 for about 6 months now or so. I love it, it's a great sounding pedal that I use on occaison with my Recto. I wish I would have taken it with me to GC to try so I could have tested it alongside the TS-808.

silverwulf said:
I've owned the Maxon OD-808 for about 6 months now or so. I love it, it's a great sounding pedal that I use on occaison with my Recto. I wish I would have taken it with me to GC to try so I could have tested it alongside the TS-808.

By all accounts, the Maxon units are supposed to be decidedly superior.

Hands down on question the Maxon OD808. I only use those pedals with drive all the way down, level all the way up, as a "clean boost".

The 808 is the best of the bunch. The SD-1 does a nice job, but kills low end. The ZW was way too hissy for me. The TS9 is too mid humpy. The AC/RC Booster are also very delicious pedals.

Bottom line... the only 2 pedals I use Maxon 808, MXR Smart Gate - that's it. Slam a Marshall with em, and good things happen.

I've been a SD-1 user since 80's and recently spent a day doing exactly the same thing, the TS and MXR really didnt excite me that much, I just shrudded my shoulders and have kept with it.

I tried the Marshall govener and didnt like it.

I've tired the DS-1 Orange Boss Distortion and use that on occasions, as the tone is harsh - although I know Steve uses one in his rig, I think you can see it on the Live at Astoria gig being used.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Yeah, i used to have one of those, it was fucking rough.

His was modded by Robert Keeley though, and having played a Keeley DS-1 myself, they're MUCH better than the stock ones!

That said, when I saw him at the Wiltern 2-3 months ago, there was also a Keeley TS9 on his board. He says he likes the DS-1 alot, but it doesn't track very well when he plays fast; That's when he kicks on the TS9 instead.