Overhead mic stands...

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
Hey guys, I've been looking for decent pair of mic stands that work for overheads for drums... But all of the recommendations I have gotten have been like $100+, and well that's alot...
So does anyone have any cheaper alternatives that work very well for this particular application?

It's not a lot to pay to ensure that your mics don't fall to the floor and break / ruin a take / etc.

My recommendation : On Stage SMS7650 [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Stage-SMS7650-Hex-Base-Studio-Microphone/dp/B00097CJ76[/ame]

Mine have been in use nonstop for 7 years and are still 100%.

I just use Studiospares or K&M mic stands. Maybe more of a pain to use that the big tall bastards you can buy but I'm not going to be spending £100+ on a mic stand.

Put weights on the bottom of cheapass boom stands.

boomweight.jpg

I have a bunch of Samson and OnStage stands, all ~$20-30 stands that have worked totally fine for years. Occasionally I have to weigh one down to accommodate a drummer that refuses to try and compromise the position of something but otherwise no problems. I'll save the $100 stands for when I have a dedicated building and am rich doing audio :lol:

Regular booms are fine for SDC's in a common close to the cymbals metal set up. The taller, heavier stands are pretty much a requirement for big LDC's as higher overheads b/c you aren't just concerned about tipping as sag.

Hahhaha wow, sucks I don't have any weights around the house...
But it seems like the regular stands just aren't tall enough and it's like $40 for a boom extension... lol