Which model K&M Stands for overheads/any other options?

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys, I want to buy some more mic stands so I can run tom mics on stands too (currently just have clips for toms).

I might as well get some nicer ones I can use for OH. Currently have SDC (SM81s) but would rather buy something decent in case I want to use LDCs down the line.

There seem to be multiple K&M stands, does anyone know the model number that is a good choice for this application?

A pair of these would be max budget really (£50 each), are there any alternatives I should consider or just go with these? http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_21021.htm

Thanks.

you cant go wrong with K&M brand, their quality is great and with good care they probably will last a lifetime
i have a couple of K&M that i have bought like 20years ago and used them at countless concerts, rehearsals and now using them at home in my little studio and they still working amazingly.
i once bought 2 cheap brand mic stands and after 1 year of use they wernt able to hold a condenser mic in horizontal position anymore

Interesting, they're cheaper and significantly heavier than the K&M's I'm looking at. 5.84kgs vs 9.75kg.

I take you have some Burny and you're happy, stay in place etc?

My only concern is the footprint looks huge on the Superlux stands. It shouldn't really be an issue I guess after playing about with positioning but the room isn't very big. Might just be a trick of the photo. I've got one K&M Stand already but am not sure which model as it isn't written anywhere, it is definitely heavier than the other cheaper stands I have and works really well. I guess I should weigh it and see if it is the same as any current models (no idea how old it is, bought it used).

Yep, they are very sturdy and stable overall with indeed a fairly big footprint. You don't have to "deploy the base structure" completely to make them stable enough in most cases though.
Only semi fragile parts are the rubber feet that tend to fall off.

Here's a couple of pics of mine that might give you a better idea:

97581DSCF354Copie.jpg

22723DSCF146.jpg

732511201415212629.jpg

Hey guys, I want to buy some more mic stands so I can run tom mics on stands too (currently just have clips for toms).

I might as well get some nicer ones I can use for OH. Currently have SDC (SM81s) but would rather buy something decent in case I want to use LDCs down the line.

There seem to be multiple K&M stands, does anyone know the model number that is a good choice for this application?

A pair of these would be max budget really (£50 each), are there any alternatives I should consider or just go with these? http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_21021.htm

Thanks.

Got two of those and I highly recommend them! Very sturdy and heavy enough to accommodate bigger mics as well. I was considering those kind of bigger OH stands but ended up getting these instead and I'm glad I did.

I believe the K&M 'extra tall' boom stand has a heavier base/legs than the regular boom stand. Drummers with vocals tend to like them since they will not fall over as easily.

Also, don't forget you can use sandbags or weights to hold down your stands.

For your other stands, you can't go wrong with studio spares, stupidly cheap for how robust they are

Just wanted to post to say thanks to greyskull for the studio spares recommendation. I did get the K&M overhead stands and they're great, but I was almost more impressed by the 2 additional Studio Spares stands I got, because, how the hell are they less than £13? I always assumed they'd be crap, but honestly they're pretty sturdy.

Aye studiospares stands are great! My only complaint is the screw on the base can end up with a stripped thread after a while and the replacement parts they sell aren't quite as good.

Had my eye on those big superlux stands for a while, really need to get my finger out and buy them, it's not as fun as buying a new mic/snare etc though :p