Overlorde - Return of the Snow Giant

Griffin-

Leather Rebel
Jul 7, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
overlorde.jpg

Overlorde started in 1985 and two years later they released an EP called Overlorde through their own label Strike Zone Records. They released several demos as well, pretty much all in the vein of epic, 80s power or just plain classic metal. I must say it’s hard to categorize this band since they just don’t fit in a box. Finally an album which has a clear sound of its own.
They’ve never released a full-length album until now under the Greek label Sonic Age Records. Many great US-metal bands were formed in the 80s but I never expected Overlorde to return with such an amazing album. This CD was certainly worth waiting for! In fact, this is one of the best metal releases of this year.

If you know Seven Witches or Exhibition you might know Overlorde’s new vocalist Bobby Lucas. He did a great job on this album, and for all I say I’m glad James Rivera takes care of Seven Witches’ vocals so we get Bobby Lucas for Overlorde. Lots of credits to Mark Edwards who is in charge of the amazing guitar work for Overlorde for the last 19 years.

Same goes for drummer Dave Wrenn and bassist John “Kong” Bunucci for giving us an album that throws us right back in the 80s and reminds us what real metal is all about. I’d also like to point out the artwork that Giorgos (Music Forward) did for this album. Great job!
Some highlights, first of all I should name the first song “Snow Giant” which goes back to their first EP Overlorde. If you’ve never heard Overlorde (which you should soon) you can download this track from their site. A personal favourite is “Hell Hath No Fury”. I must say it beats Rock Godess’ and Witchfynde’s “Hell Hath No Fury”. Some other songs that are definitely worth naming are “Blackness” and “Colossus (Island Of The Cyclops)”. If you’re unfamiliar with Overlorde and you like bands like Judas Priest, Saxon or more epic bands in the vein of Brocas Helm you’ll like this album. If you know and like any of Overlorde’s demos or the first EP, get this now!

(Fleur)
(review origionally written for Rockezine.com

Jean-Pierre said:
Ah, so you're Fleur! Just to let you know, you accidentally gave the album a 9% on Metal archives. ;)
I am indeed! haha, and that's true, I thought it was out of ten, I meant to give them 90% hehe
9% would be ridiculous!

Griffin- said:
I am indeed! haha, and that's true, I thought it was out of ten, I meant to give them 90% hehe
9% would be ridiculous!

You can fix that by going to the review and pressing the "write a review" option. It'll be there for you to edit.