PA System for Rehearsal and Smaller Gigs??

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
what would you guys buy used or even new for a rehearsal space and possible smaller venues.........primary use would be vocals and an ipod stereo track of the (mono) orchestra tracks, stylus, and occasional electronic drums backing tracks

Are there any full bundles powered monitors with mixer?? Rather do that than buy everything separate if possible

Right now this would be a
-PA for all the orchestra (mono)
-need a separate out for the mono track that has the click (headphone for drummer)
-be loud enough to hear for the guitarists and bassist and vocalist
-would need to be able to hear myself (vocalist) as well (or do I need a personal monitor as well for this)

Yeah, we've used the 450's at rehearsal for eight years or so. Then just pick out a mixer big enough to handle your input needs. If you really want to push a full e-kit through in a gig situation I'd recommend a sub too.

So the mackies for powered but what mixer would you use..shoot me any ideas? I still would want on stage monitors so maybe the mackies for that as well

and the yamaha's if I chose the non powered route with a yamaha mixer or??

Allen & Heath mixwizard is the best small format mixing console for the money, IMO... if you want to spend less check out the smaller Yamaha and Mackie consoles

Is the version 1 on the srm 450's fine? I might have found a decent deal under $500 for version 1 srm 450 pair..............looks wise they are pretty beat up though............whats the most I should pay?

yes the version 1's are actually better build quality than the ones they are putting out now, good buy.. 500 for a pair is a good deal they will last a long time if you take care of them

Do you guys have any good suggestions for a 2500e budget PA? (active monitors + preamp mixer) We need to have enough power to hear 4 vocals, kick and snare triggers, synth and backing tracks without shitty clipping and red lights burning in the mixer and speakers.

That budget doesn't need to include subwoofers, cause we thought to get kickass fullrange speakers first, and few months later 1 or 2 subwoofers. We can spend approximately 2000e more later on, if we need to.

What are the main differencies between Mackie, JBL, RCF, DB Technologies and HK Audio?

Do you guys have any good suggestions for a 2500e budget PA? (active monitors + preamp mixer) We need to have enough power to hear 4 vocals, kick and snare triggers, synth and backing tracks without shitty clipping and red lights burning in the mixer and speakers.

That budget doesn't need to include subwoofers, cause we thought to get kickass fullrange speakers first, and few months later 1 or 2 subwoofers. We can spend approximately 2000e more later on, if we need to.

What are the main differencies between Mackie, JBL, RCF, DB Technologies and HK Audio?

2 of these

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jbl_mrx_525.htm?sid=410141683124892637ddc3025109c661

one of these

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ep4000_europower.htm

one of these

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_1402_vlz3.htm

one of these

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dbx_1231_graphic_eq.htm

That's slightly over your budget but you need the 31 band EQ to pull out feedback frequencies

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestion!
Do you prefer passive systems over active ones, cause you recommended getting poweramp + passive speakers? Is there really any differencies in quality and power of sound or is same price range active system as good as passive one?

And how about using a feedback killer instead of an EQ?

Like http://www.thomann.de/gb/dbx_driverack_pa_02.htm

I have never seen those feedback killers in big PA systems but that just maybe cause Im pretty blind dumbass, so I would like to know if anyone has used them and what were the results. Many companies tell you can get like +10db louder sound without feedback with their product.

And for the money our budget is pretty adjustable, cause we want to get a kickass system with one try (no shitty units, which we need to replace later), so I was a bit frightened when I saw that Behringer Europower; is it a reliable unit with good sound?

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestion!
Do you prefer passive systems over active ones, cause you recommended getting poweramp + passive speakers? Is there really any differencies in quality and power of sound or is same price range active system as good as passive one?

And how about using a feedback killer instead of an EQ?

Like http://www.thomann.de/gb/dbx_driverack_pa_02.htm

I have never seen those feedback killers in big PA systems but that just maybe cause Im pretty blind dumbass, so I would like to know if anyone has used them and what were the results. Many companies tell you can get like +10db louder sound without feedback with their product.

And for the money our budget is pretty adjustable, cause we want to get a kickass system with one try (no shitty units, which we need to replace later), so I was a bit frightened when I saw that Behringer Europower; is it a reliable unit with good sound?

The feedback killer is the same thing as an EQ, it just does it automatically and not as well (my opinion of course). The driverack is for PA tuning/processing. You do the basic tuning in the driverack with an RTA mic and then adjust it with a 31 band EQ.

I don't really have any preference towards passive or active, the only thing that I've noticed is sometimes when you are working in a really hot environment that active systems have more of a tendency to overheat than if you were using a PA with a separate amp rack. Active is definitely less stuff to carry if you plan on moving it around for gigs at some point, so that's something to consider.

Can you guys shoot me a few ideas/links for a mixer to go with the mackie srm450's that just came in? Dont really want to spend too much but I have three mics going in, ipod with orchestra........thats pretty much it. I think yamaha actually has mixers with some fx built in which might be good for the backing vocals.

The Yamaha MG-line mixers are decent. Pretty good quality for not that much cash.
They also have a simple compressor on the first 2-6 mono channels. Models with the X on the name have FX on them.
The only thing is that their cases are mostly plastic, so be mindful of that when gigging.

The Yamaha MG-line mixers are decent. Pretty good quality for not that much cash.
They also have a simple compressor on the first 2-6 mono channels. Models with the X on the name have FX on them.
The only thing is that their cases are mostly plastic, so be mindful of that when gigging.

Those built in compressors are a joke. Otherwise the desks are decent for what they are

Hey guys, thought I'd post here about this rather than create a new thread.

We might be getting our own rehearsal space, and will need a PA setup for the vocalist. He has a keyboard too. It's *ONLY* for rehearsal, not for gigs. Guitars, bass, and drums will not be going through the PA. We've got two loud guitarists, and our drummer hits hard. Our bassist also has tact.

What would you guys recommend?