Small mixer with Pre-fader Aux send?

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
I need a small mixer for my live backing tracks and also to receive headphone monitoring for my drummer (along with the click track sync'd with the backing track), and I have come to the conclusion that to make it work how I want it to I need it to have pre-fader aux sends. It's simple, the normal "main" output of the mixer is what the drummer will hear, at first just the click track and backing track but hopefully in a live situation also a monitor send from the PA, and he would be able to adjust the separate volumes to his liking straight on the mixer. But I need to send the backing track by itself (no click track, and of course no monitor) straight to the PA, which I would do through the aux out of the small mixer, sending only backing track while other tracks are 0 on their aux level. And I need that backing track to be unaffected by whatever fader changes the drummer gives to his monitor mix.

So I have a small behringer xenyx thingy that I borrowed from my cousin and was planning on buying it from him but at the first rehearsal with our new drummer I realized the aux send (called fx in this mixer) is post-fader, which means if I raise the fx send knob, it will still be mute unless I also raise the main out fader, and if I change the main out fader it will also change the volume of the send to the PA. In rehearsal I solve this problem by going first through the main mixer in the rehearsal room (a bigger behringher mixer) which does have proper "aux" instead of "fx" sends, then sending through aux the click track and backing track and anything the drummer wants for monitoring into the small mixer the drummer has next to him. Since the big mixer is post-fader, I can have the click track muted in the main outs while sending it through aux to the drummer, so it isn't heard in the monitors in the rehearsal room.

Problems are:
1 - drummer cannot adjust volumes himself, I would have to adjust them for him in the main mixer
2 - Obviously, this can't be done in a live show, unless we take our own sound engineer everywhere and it would still be a PITA. plus, we don't have a sound engineer anyways haha

So in the end, anyone know of a cheap small mixer that could work for this purpose? the cheaper the better, not many channels needed, just at least a couple line inputs and one or two mix preamps for receiving monitor mixes through XLR from the PA

Okay here's the reality:

If you want a small (and relatively cheap) good mixer there's only one option.

These are what I call the essentials:

1) at least 4 x XLR inputs with Gain
2) Built in FX
3) An Aux (in addition to the FX) for monitoring fold back.

Only small mixer that has these 3 is the Alesis Mutlimix 8Fx

The Mackie DFX6 has all the stuff, but it's not 'small' and therefore doesn't count.

Berhinger don't have a second Aux (1202FX), Soundcraft 124FX don't have second Aux, Peavy don't even have FX!

So all in all unless you go for a large mixer the only choice is Alesis MultiMix 8FX.

Thus you can set up a separate mix and send it to where you want and balance the volume with the Aux 2 - and you still get built in FX!!

I can't believe that only Alesis have got it right and as we speak I am sending an unopened Soundcraft 124FX back to DV247.com as it's bollox for live if it hasn't got an Aux for foldback as with all the others.

you are over complicating it ....

You need a mixer with 4 channels and 2 auxes

Laptop: CH 1 & 2
Click : CH 3
Monitor send from FOH CH 4

Send Aux 1 to FOH (Mono) & Main outs to headphones for drummer

or (the way I do it)

Send Stereo to FOH via mixer outs.
Aux 1 - Monitor send from FOH
Aux 2 - Backing & Click

My Behringer... something1204... has all of those features, is a little over one square foot, and if memory serves cost around $150 five years ago. I assume they must still have something similar.

you are over complicating it ....

You need a mixer with 4 channels and 2 auxes

Laptop: CH 1 & 2
Click : CH 3
Monitor send from FOH CH 4

Send Aux 1 to FOH (Mono) & Main outs to headphones for drummer

Thanks, This is what I´m looking to do as stated in the OP, and you´re the one over complicating it cause I´m not using a laptop, just my Iphone with my backing tracks in stereo: left side the backing track, right side the click track.

And thanks to everyone else for listing those options, I will now look into all of those

Okay here's the reality:

If you want a small (and relatively cheap) good mixer there's only one option.

These are what I call the essentials:

1) at least 4 x XLR inputs with Gain
2) Built in FX
3) An Aux (in addition to the FX) for monitoring fold back.

Only small mixer that has these 3 is the Alesis Mutlimix 8Fx

The Mackie DFX6 has all the stuff, but it's not 'small' and therefore doesn't count.

Berhinger don't have a second Aux (1202FX), Soundcraft 124FX don't have second Aux, Peavy don't even have FX!

So all in all unless you go for a large mixer the only choice is Alesis MultiMix 8FX.

Thus you can set up a separate mix and send it to where you want and balance the volume with the Aux 2 - and you still get built in FX!!

I can't believe that only Alesis have got it right and as we speak I am sending an unopened Soundcraft 124FX back to DV247.com as it's bollox for live if it hasn't got an Aux for foldback as with all the others.

Btw I don´t need a separate Fx send at all, I just need it to be an "aux" send which is normally pre-fader instead of the "fx" send the behringer has which is post-fader. The one I have has no built in fx, just the fx send

If the drummer is getting a click and backing track, don't ALSO give him the guitar/vocals from the mains... They will fuck with his timing. Or at least, that has been my experience. It'd be better to give him a click with pre-recorded guitar tracks.

If the drummer is getting a click and backing track, don't ALSO give him the guitar/vocals from the mains... They will fuck with his timing. Or at least, that has been my experience. It'd be better to give him a click with pre-recorded guitar tracks.

hmm, makes sense I guess. You mean like cause the other guys don´t have the click track in their ears (the idea is that we all will when we can afford a set of IEMs) our untight timing could fuck up his timing? I´m gonna have to try this next week, micing the guitars and sending him vox too and see how that goes.

I was thinking it would be neccesary for him to have actual monitoring of the full band cause in case he were to mess up and skip a beat in the click track (as in still being on time but one click away so the backing track would be one beat off from the rest of the band) it would help for him to have the guitars to keep track in case he´s the one off but the band stays ok. But I guess having pre-recorded guitars is a good idea cause they will never go off and it´s easy for him to get on track with that. I guess I´m just kinda afraid it would totally end up killing the experience for the drummer, as in not even feeling the actual sound of the show and all. But in the end, it´s his loss haha

mackie 802-vlz3

I hate it when the descriptions doesn´t mention if the aux send is pre or post, I´m guessing you´ve used one and know it´s pre. It´s a bit out of my price range though, I´m looking to spend more or less 60 euro and this is 233, but thanks anyways!

So far I found this cheap shit that seems to do all I need it to do:
http://www.thomann.de/es/phonic_am_440.htm

Looks like a behringer clone (like behringer wasn´t bad enough haha) but it might do the job, still taking suggestions though