Pain of Salvation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only went there to see PoS. Ive never heard of any of the other bands... But I'm not really a prog fan I guess. I just like a few specific bands. Saturday did not change my mind. I left after PoS, as I had a 4.5 hour drive back home... But the other bands I just didnt get much out of. The vocals mainly were the turn off for me.. Constant upper range James Labrie style vocals on every single song with no variety in their voice.. Daniels style of soft/medium/hard vocals make your ear listen because it's always changing. He was also the only singer that I thought got "buy in" from the crowd without clapping his hands to force the audience to clap along, and the only one who didnt make silly dog barking noises to get the crowd going... Simply his music did the trick..
Naturally, I'm biased as I only went to see them. But thats just how I felt as first impressions from the other bands.
I guess I just prefer more melodic songs, with variety and creativity vs. wide open riffing 100% of the time.

I can agree the restart thing was a bit over the top...
But never thought I would get to see them after 12+ years of listening to them.
I will neeeeever forget that moment!!
If they ever come back (unlikely now haha) I will def go back to see them!

Sorry just have to add something, if you came into the Fest for 1 band then drove home 4.5 hours after that, you're doing ProgPower wrong, and my 13 hour drive says hello.

I think it's great that someone checks out ProgPower on the strength of one band they love. Now they have had a taste, and the fest is on their radar. I see myself in that because in 2004, I also thought "Hmmm....I should check this festival out" just because of one band: Pain of Salvation.

That was the same case for me in 2002. I saw PoS was playing at some fest in Atlanta I had never heard of. I didn't even know until not long before the fest and bought tickets on ebay. With a couple exceptions I've been every year since and even been a sponsor once. 2007 still kills me because I missed it because of my first back surgery. Not ever getting to see After Forever still sucks to this day. I'm hoping Glenn can get them to reunite again one year.

What was the set?

I have the setlist at home, but mostly it resembled Wendsday's setlist, with a couple of Road Salt songs (Linoleum, 1979 (with an alternate arrangement they just came up with that night.)) and a few Remedy Lane songs. For the encore, they did a mostly instrumental medley of songs and "A Trace Of Blood".

They definitely were having a good time. When Daniel was switching guitars to do the Road Salt songs, he was trying to encourage the drummer to fill time by doing a drum solo. What actually happened was the drummer and keyboardist started doing this lounge thing. Once Daniel got his guitar strapped on, he started doing this heavy riffing thing, which he was joined in by the other guitarist and the bass player started growling in the mike. They liked the idea so much, they tried it again when Daniel had to switch back, doing multiple takes with the other guitarist screaming. It was pretty funny.

When they came on for the encore, Daniel announced they were going to do the entire "Love Gun" album for the encore. Also, after the medley (Where Disco Queen was played), one of the guys screamed "Disco!" before they did the next song. Daniel informed him that they already did all the disco that night. He suggested that next time they'd have two sets: a regular set and a set with all disco songs.

See, that's the more relaxed POS on tour that I keep hearing about. I've only ever seen them at PP though, and they always seem wound tighter than a tension rod.

See, that's the more relaxed POS on tour that I keep hearing about. I've only ever seen them at PP though, and they always seem wound tighter than a tension rod.

They were fine at PP1. PP3 they had the problem of following Blind Guardian and couldn't match the energy. I don't know what happened at PP5, since I wasn't there.

I don't know if it is a festival thing or not, but I thought they were fine at RoSFest last year, given all the problems they had to deal with.

While I'm usually not one to defend DG I feel I have to make it clear to the more "entitled" people in this thread that the band had no choice at that point but to start over again. There was positively zero monitor sound and the whole deal with opening the curfew and playing the intro was NOT green lighted by the band who were right in the middle of their soundcheck, this was also mentioned onstage. An honest mistake by the crew who on all other accounts were absolutely fantastic.
"Soldiering on" is a noble thought but also one that is impossible, imagine trying to drive a car with a piece of sheet metal instead of a windscreen and you'll get the picture.
I'd recommend the self appointed "experts" out there to not assume that every time something out of the ordinary happens that it's based on rock star behavior and/or ill will.

While I'm usually not one to defend DG I feel I have to make it clear to the more "entitled" people in this thread that the band had no choice at that point but to start over again. There was positively zero monitor sound and the whole deal with opening the curfew and playing the intro was NOT green lighted by the band who were right in the middle of their soundcheck, this was also mentioned onstage. An honest mistake by the crew who on all other accounts were absolutely fantastic. "Soldiering on" is a noble thought but also one that is impossible, imagine trying to drive a car with a piece of sheet metal instead of a windscreen and you'll get the picture. I'd recommend the self appointed "experts" out there to not assume that every time something out of the ordinary happens that it's based on rock star behavior and/or ill will.

This is not exactly an accurate account. Plus, there were two crews on stage. However, you are free to believe who you would like as I will not comment further. I'm glad you enjoyed the show regardless.

Honestly it only bothered me insofar as I'd waited 12 damned years to see Pain of Salvation and those 5 minutes nearly made me have a stroke (their first several albums still have a huge impact on me). I can understand why he'd want the reset, and I can understand why some people think he's an unmitigated prick for it.

This is not exactly an accurate account. Plus, there were two crews on stage. However, you are free to believe who you would like as I will not comment further. I'm glad you enjoyed the show regardless.

Well, what the show was like from a musical standpoint I can't vouch for since I didn't listen to it from the audience's p o v, however since I was highly involved behind the scenes and in the wings from set up to the actual concert I'm actually quite positive my recollection of what I saw first hand is right.

So you're telling me the band had monitor sound and personally told the stagehands to open the curfew and that the whole ordeal was due to rock star douchebaggery and a general wish to fuck things up for the hell of it?

However, you are free to believe who you would like as I will not comment further.

Oh, I'm sorry, forgot that you chose to cop out.

Haha - Harvester is Glenn, the man in charge :)

And by the way, since you are hiding your identity with the email address you registered with, know that I usually delete accounts who use email addresses like you did. It's very spammy stuff (if you look at that site you'll know what I mean).

I thought the restart was a bunch of BS. If it was filmed with the intention of releasing the whole thing on DVD, then MAYBE I can give him a pass since it is a one time shoot. But if the filming wasn't for an entire show release, then all he really did was waste everyone's time. It's easy to say that "it was only 5-10 minutes," but we know other bands in the past have cut out songs to fit in the time allotment. We know Circus Maximus cut out a song last year because they were running late 5 minutes late. I would have loved to hear that extra song last year, but they respected their time allotment. With an extra 5-10 minutes of show time, I would have much rather heard an an extra song by somebody than wait around that same amount of time for somebody to get their crap together.

PoS was great at PPIII. They did BG a favor by switching with them and then they played long as I remember. It's not their fault the power snobs left after BG.

Oh, I'm sorry, forgot that you chose to cop out.

Cop out? Hello kettle, this is pot. You're black. Name and IP address hiding?

I tried to be polite and simply point out there are some inaccuracies in your statement without casting specific blame on any individuals as you did with the crew comment. I have the right to defend my crew. How do I know?

I'm the promoter and was standing there on stage the entire FUCKING time and know exactly who/what/why was to blame for the additional delay even before the curtain debacle (that was fixed immediately once communication was cleared up- no curtain was closed). The band went on to do a beautiful set.

That extra delay was far worse to me than the do-over that was indeed a result of miscommunication between TWO crews. In fact, that pissed me off to no end. If it wasn't for that delay, I doubt the re-start would have ever happened. I do not fault the band in the slightest for the do-over.

I only went there to see PoS. Ive never heard of any of the other bands... But I'm not really a prog fan I guess. I just like a few specific bands. Saturday did not change my mind. I left after PoS, as I had a 4.5 hour drive back home...

It was your dollar to spend the way you wanted to spend it, however I would like to make a friendly suggestion. Next time if you don't know the other bands, then take some time to listen to them before the festival. You don't even have to buy their albums as most everything is on Youtube. If you like a band, then purchase an album or two for the better sound quality and make it your own. There is SO much out there to discover. Be open minded about it and you might find yourself with more music to listen to than you know what to do with.

Status
Not open for further replies.