pale folklore versus the mantle

face of godzilla

nice marmot
Jun 21, 2004
new jersey, usa
i know agalloch's the mantle gets a lot of acclaim, and it is a great album...but i personally think pale folklore is better. better atmosphere, better songwriting, better emotions, etc etc...even though production is weaker and it isnt as tight as the mantle. what do you guys think about that.

Not too hard of a question. The Mantle is pretty much superior in every way. I mean the lyrics are far more poetic and intelligent. The songs are much better in sturcture as is the album. The Mantle flows so perfectly as it peaks and dips at the right moments, the same can't be said about PF, which loses a lot of momentum after Dead Winter Days. The Mantle is more diverse. The Mantle has superior vocal performances. The Mantle even has better artwork. All in all Pale Folklore is a solid album with a few stunning tracks, The Mantle on the other hand is a virtually flawless masterpiece which takes lots of time to fully grasp.

I prefer Pale Folklore over The Mantle, though I prefer Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor most of all.

Both are masterfully created, but The Mantle has a better flow throughout... it's much more a whole album, and less a collection of songs.

The Mantle is definitely better lyrically, rhythmically, artistically..etc. Agalloch is an awesome band as a whole tho, and I really did enjoy Pale Folklore too

Both are excellent, but The Mantle beats Pale Folklore simply because the production on the latter didn't exactly impress me. If Pale Folklore was better produced, then it would probably kick The Mantle's ass, due to the superior songwriting on it.

Tanith said:
Both are excellent, but The Mantle beats Pale Folklore simply because the production on the latter didn't exactly impress me. If Pale Folklore was better produced, then it would probably kick The Mantle's ass, due to the superior songwriting on it.