Pandora

Yeah I've used it. It's pretty cool, but I'm getting a bit tired of getting nu metal songs and odd power metal songs through that station. I like the look and the idea, but they should've made it a bit more advanced in choice imo.

Yeah I've tried it too about a year ago or so. The concept is really fun, but it did not work too well for me either. I think for it to work truly well they should increase the size of their artist database by a factor of 10 or something. Right now they claim to have "over 10,000 artists" which isn't exactly a lot.

http://www.pandora.com

Anybody else use this site? For those that don't know, it programs custom radio stations for you similar to bands or songs that you input. They've somehow entered variables for a huge number of artists. You then get to vote songs on or off the playlist as they're playing, which gives their computer a better idea of what to play.

Its not perfect though. I entered Opeth and it played them, Solefald, Porcupine Tree, Communic, Kamelot, Dissection, Darkthrone, Mars Volta, Orphaned Land, etc. But then I got an Alice In Chains song (a good one, actually) and a Saigon Kick song of all things.

Just wondering if anybody's got a really cool station, and if you do, what band did you input initially?

I've checked the site out a couple times and have seen it come up in discussion now and then, though I've never really spent too much time on it, even though it might actually be a decent way to discover a band here or there just by hitting "Next Track" til you find something interesting?

and if nothing else... I reckon it's nice to be able to have music to listen to if you're at a computer with none of yours :p

It does have a pretty good collection. Nice way to use up your office bandwidth imo.

I'm trying it out now. So far I've had 'In My Time Of Need' and 'Special Needs' by Placebo.

I can see myself using this a LOT.

*EDIT* Just discovered that I can't register to use it, as I don't live in the US. That fucking sucks, I was enjoying this, I've had four excellent tracks in a row.

If it becoms available in the UK, can someone PM me and let me know? If they remember, that is. I like the service.

If you are into acoustic, trippy, pysch-folk, type in "Devendra Banhart". So far everything they've played is cool (Vashti Bunyan, Elliot Smith, Nations by the River {fantastic!!}, etc.)

If you are into acoustic, trippy, pysch-folk, type in "Devendra Banhart". So far everything they've played is cool (Vashti Bunyan, Elliot Smith, Nations by the River {fantastic!!}, etc.)

I took your suggestion. I found Welcome Wagon - Sold! To the Nice Rich Man.
I really like that.
But this song now is really gay. Daniel Johnston - Lemon Song :ill: