Pandora Internet Radio

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
http://www.pandora.com

So, I've been using this for a week or two now, and it's really pretty cool. It's an offshoot of the Music Genome Project, where a few guys sat down and started encyclopeadically documenting and cataloguing specific elements of songs (minor key tonality, mild rhythmic syncopation, hard rock influences, things like that) and using the terms to find similar songs. Now they've put it together into a flash-based online radio player. Sign up, punch in a few bands that you like, and the player will go off and find more songs it thinks you may like. If it's right, rate it thumbs-up and your player has more to go on. If it's wrong, rate it thumbs-down and the track will stop and never be played again, and your preferences will be more exactly defined still.

Currently playing: Sater's Wederkeer, by Hekel, from De Dodenvaart.

*bump*

Seriously, no-one's even vaguely interested in this? The station is currently playing 'Bigman Death' by Japanese noise-rock artists Zeni Geva (they sort of sound like Today Is The Day but with a gruffer frontman), and I've been hearing Sunn O))) tracks, stuff by Halo... 'The Somberlain' by Dissection came on yesterday and reminded me how much ass that album kicks...

i have indeed seen this site, i'd actually forgotten about it

it's pretty cool, its usefulness has its limits but it's a neat idea and you can find some good shit on there

The metal stations are a lot better than before. Nothing obscure, but a lot of stuff that "oh yeah, I've been meaning to check this out" like early Satyricon. I've been using this while programming where I'm not really actively listening. It's pretty ace. The progressive rock/folk/portishead stuff is pretty fucking.