Internet Radio

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
I've been selected to rate radio stations this week by Arbitron Ratings, one of the leading companies in U.S. radio research/surveys. It's like the Neilson ratings for television...your voice really counts for something for once.

I live in the U.S. so the traditional AM/FM radio has sucked for many years. I have no use for it, and haven't since the mid-90s (other than the occasional "classic rock" station tuned in for parties). I plan to tell them that. Satellite radio is a HUGE step in the right direction, but it's still just the same old songs for us old school metal fans. They need a real metal station that features modern bands similar to ProgPower USA and some underground bands like Cage, Tad Morose, Wolf, Winter's Bane, Icarus Witch, Lefay, Pharoah, etc.

I am already familiar with the following and plan to listen and list them this week:

Beyond Ear Candy
Pandora Internet Radio
Seismic Radio (Paul Cashman on Sundays)

If there are any free internet radio stations that play our kind of music, please post them here so I can check them out while our voice counts.

Satellite radio is a HUGE step in the right direction, but it's still just the same old songs for us old school metal fans. They need a real metal station that features modern bands similar to ProgPower USA and some underground bands like Cage, Tad Morose, Wolf, Winter's Bane, Icarus Witch, Lefay, Pharoah, etc.

That's not entirely correct, on some channels they do mix it up quite a bit and I have heard Wolf, Icarus Witch, Hammerfall and bands like that. So some of the bands you mentioned will get or do get air time and they do listen to what the people want. So it's upto the listeners to call in, email in and let the DJ's know what they'd like to hear. But be careful what you ask for because I can hear people crying sell out when bands begin to sell albums and begin to get on regular rotation!:lol:

Here's a few;

Heavy Metal Radio- heavymetalradio.com
Maddog Rock Radio- heavymetalradio.net
Alliance Radio
Snakenet-snakenetmetalradio.com
Bad Attitude Radio
Blistering Radio
Wacken Radio
KNAC
Hardradio
Open Grave Radio
Solarfall- solarfall.com
DarkSoulVII-darksoul7.com
Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles Radio
Thrash Unlimited Radio
Metal Faction Radio
Rothmetal
Black Metal Radio-blackmetalradio.com
Metal Rules Radio
Tundra Trash Radio
Hard Rockin 80's
Braingell Radio
Stickman Radio
Hard Rock Radio Live
Live Hard Rock Radio
KWTF- The Edge

If I come up with any more, I'll post them here.

That's not entirely correct, on some channels they do mix it up quite a bit and I have heard Wolf, Icarus Witch, Hammerfall and bands like that. So some of the bands you mentioned will get or do get air time and they do listen to what the people want. So it's upto the listeners to call in, email in and let the DJ's know what they'd like to hear. But be careful what you ask for because I can hear people crying sell out when bands begin to sell albums and begin to get on regular rotation!:lol:
:lol: You are right about people crying when an underground band gets in regular rotation! I've even been guilty of that myself, despite desperate attempts not to be that kind of person.

I still think satellite radio needs two dedicated channels...one to old school metal like Saxon, Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, etc, mixed with modern day old school bands like IW, Wolf, Pharoah, etc. And then a second channel that plays the prog/power realm like Beyond Ear Candy does. Until then, I won't even consider getting Sirius or XM.

Thanks to those who posted stations, I'll check some of them out as the week progresses.

Metal Express Radio is a good one. They play a lot of stuff off new releases in addition to the classics and I think their metal spectrum is very compatible with the tastes of most UMOSers. I guess there's regular hosted features as well but I always seem to miss them, heh.

Another favorite of mine for a few years already is Dementia Radio. Prog rock/metal and classic stuff from the 70s and the 80s.

Then there's MSRCast. Not really a radio, but a "podcast" which basically means that every episode is a huge mp3 file you can download. I know a few of you might like to check out the James Rivera interview episode from a few months back.