Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power info?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I just noticed something really weird and this thing will most likely totally cause that I will notice this thing every time I listen to the album from now on, because it disturbs me so much... I have the earliest CD remaster of Vulgar Display of Power and I noticed that on "Mouth for War", the hihat comes only from the right channel. Nothing from the left. Not even any kind of bleed.

Did those motherfuckers do what I think they did? Only way that I can think how that is possible... MIDI DRUMS! :mad: If they did, my dreams are crushed.

edit: NO WAIT! In the beginning of "A New Level" you can hear that even the ride only comes from the right channel!

Did those motherfuckers do what I think they did? Only way that I can think how that is possible... They fucked up the panning and made them into only hardpanned mono overhead! :mad: If they did, my dreams are crushed.

Does anyone have any info on the micing setup for VDOP?

Not hearing this, but im only listening on YouTube..

The only one that was a bit weird was 'a new level', but even that you could hear it in the left channel still.

Close-mics on the cymbals hardpanned would make this not hard to do..

In Mouth for War the hats are stereo on the slidy riff but once the riff that has the vocals in it comes in the hi hat is indeed 1 sided.

kinda similar - on Slayer's South of Heaven it always bugged me the solos were hard panned L and R. in my car I used to "mix out" the solos with the pan knob sometimes for shits and giggles. One time my buddy was in the car, and I was like "I don't like this solo, I'm going to turn it off," and panned it out. He thought I was a magician for a second.

sorry, continue...

kinda similar - on Slayer's South of Heaven it always bugged me the solos were hard panned L and R. in my car I used to "mix out" the solos with the pan knob sometimes for shits and giggles. One time my buddy was in the car, and I was like "I don't like this solo, I'm going to turn it off," and panned it out. He thought I was a magician for a second.

sorry, continue...

That's a trademark you'll find on many of their records. I always liked it because that way you could instantly tell if it's a King or Hanneman lead.

When was any Pantera album remastered? That does not happen in my version. Maybe you are talking about those "best of" pieces of shit albums bands tend to put out every now and then.

A note on Slayer: they should have learned about 20 years ago that they should have never had included solos in their songs.

When was any Pantera album remastered? That does not happen in my version. Maybe you are talking about those "best of" pieces of shit albums bands tend to put out every now and then.

A note on Slayer: they should have learned about 20 years ago that they should have never had included solos in their songs.

:lol:

I just put in my copy of VDOP that I bought in 97? or so and un plugged one of my speakers and I can still hear a bit of hat in the other side. Not sure what version you're listening to, but mine definitely still has some hat on the non hi hat side....

I don't know, point source panning of a mono source would sound much more disturbing than that. To me it just sounds like the ambient info is being masked somewhat in the opposite channel.

I'm not hearing this either. The hat is panned pretty far right, but it still bleeds a bit over to the left. Bought the CD sometime mid-nineties...