Panzerchrist - Battalion Beast (2006)

Oct 3, 2006
--- wrote this earlier for metal-archives ---

Panzerchrist
Battalion Beast
(2006)

Three years have passed since Panzerchrist released their last opus Roomservice - an album that I would easily rank as a favourite of mine in the death metal genre. It was upon that release that I became a full-fledged fan of Panzerchrist and since that time, I’ve been anxiously awaiting the arrival of their follow up.

In 2006, after some line-up changes and delays, the Danish death metal titans would return to dish out their latest offering in the name of Battalion Beast. The album cover features a tank blaring through a battlefield, accurately depicting the explosive sound that Panzerchrist is known for - a brutal mix of ‘in-your-face’ death metal with a slight black metal influence, enriched with top-notch drumming and considerable groove. And of course it wouldn’t be Panzerchrist if it wasn’t for the war-based lyrical themes with such song titles as “War in the North“, “The Spirit of Soldiers” and the very cool sounding “The Lean Black Cruisers“. Interesting to note that the lyrics were original written in German (as was Soul Collector) but were later re-written in English citing the reason being: “After all, who won the war?”

Battalion Beast isn’t entirely different from Roomservice. One could argue that it is in fact, step-up from its predecessor. This time around the Danish group offer a more evolved and complete package. The musicianship as well as production values have improved quite a bit. The production is thicker and louder allowing the listener a clear opportunity to hear everything. Reno’s skills are fully demonstrated on this album, proving he is among the best in extreme metal. His drumming on this album can only be described as incredible, and even inhuman at times - without a doubt some of the fastest drumming I’ve ever heard. Vocalist Bo Summers combines the brutal death metal growls of Roomservice along with the vicious black metal shrieks that accompanied Soul Collector. A nice addition are the presence of the keyboards, which make the occasional appearance.

Battalion Beast is consistent from start to finish. “The Lean Black Cruisers” commences the assault with a short drum introduction followed by a full onslaught of Reno’s relentless drumming arsenal. Bo’s higher-pitched screams lead the charge and song continues forward in that fashion until the three minute mark when the pace slows down, allowing room for a short keyboard interlude. Half a minute later or so the song takes off again full-force until its end. The track ends with a re-occurring Panzerchrist lyric: “Christ, my name is Panzer! If anyone remembers from Roomservice - the old lyric was “Death forever Panzer!” The opening track is much welcomed sign of things to come.

“The Gods They Do Not Give Us Long” features some heavy swinging bass lines and is undeniable catchy in the way that every good metal song should be. This is a prime example of the excellent groove found in Panzerchrist’s music. Overall a great song and an album favourite that is guaranteed to warrant many more listens. Not missing a beat Reno again initiates the attack with some nice drum work on “He Is Dead Who Will Not Fight“. “Infants Graves” is much more reminiscent of the material found on Roomservice and approximately two and a half minutes in there is nice little guitar solo worthy of a mention. “Weep No More” keeps the adrenaline flowing and “Flame of the Panzerchrist” is a change of pace. The track begins with the ringing of bells in the background before the band returns to proper form. At just under two minutes “Rotting Lumps of Clay” is much like the ‘Roomservice’ of Battalion Beast. This song really showcases Reno’s killer machinegun-like drum speed as he kicks it up a notch. “War in the North” is a slow song with a almost doom-ish quality to it, weathering the storm of the previous tracks. A highlight are the keyboards which have a slightly melancholic feel to them.

My personal favourite track has to be the album’s finale “The Spirit of Soldiers”. Beginning with a few sounds of war, this song is a bit of an epic spanning a total of nine minutes in length. There are some nice guitar bits and keyboard melodies found on this track. This is where Panzerchrist’s musicianship is most noticeably apparent. Easily one of the best songs they’ve ever written - this tracks serves as a great finish.

In fewer or greater words Battalion Beast is easily one of this year’s best. I wouldn’t hesitate to consider it a strong front-runner for Album of 2006. This release is highly recommended and it essential for those of you who are into extreme metal. Battalion Beast is the kind of album that was only made to test your speakers’ limits at full-volume. Panzerchrist have undoubtedly impressed me once again and I look forward to their next colossal release.

9.5 /10