Part II of Mixing Metal in Dec SoS

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
Mark Mynett has his second part of "Mixing Metal" in this months Sound on Sound magazine. It's a great read, continuing where he left of in part one in November's issue talking about the production of extreme metal music. He gives great insight and advise on most of the subjects discussed here regularly. You can purchase back issues online in PDF format if you do not have a news stand that carries it.

He talks about:

• Time Alignment & Phase
  • Grouping The Groups
  • Finely Balanced
  • Panning & Stereo Width
  • Equalisation
  • Filter Away
  • Intelligent EQ
  • Where The Meat Is
  • Compression
  • Effects
  • Conclusion

It's an issue well worth the investment. Part one was great as well.

I picked it up actually. Couldn't wait for part two. It was very interesting to read about how to use the eqs to fit in the instruments into a mix. It was a very good article

I'll try to find it somewhere...the only place I knew that had it, stopped bringing international magazines :(

Maybe I find it in Barcelona next month? hope so! the first part was nice but a bit vague ( for example, guitars)

Here are some videos related to the SOS articles featuring Russ Russell and Andy Sneap, for anyone who hasn't seen them:

Last edited by a moderator:
i find it amazing that anyone who has spent more than a few hours on the forum would find that article useful? Pretty basic stuff to be honest

i find it amazing that anyone who has spent more than a few hours on the forum would find that article useful? Pretty basic stuff to be honest

So your telling me you have read both articles and found no useful information? If not then you must be a veritable wealth of knowledge. While none of the concepts or practices may be new, all this information in a well thought out, concise manner is a rarity. Given the low amount of coverage that the regular recording press/magazines give metal, let alone the more extreme forms of metal, yes - I found this information a welcome addition to my collection of tips and information to pull from. I'm sure others do as well.

This was what was covered in both articles combined - tell me one other reference place for this information that does not require hunting and pecking around a bunch of forums or posts? All this in two articles - I call that informational.

Extreme Metal I:

Pre-Production
The Rehearsal Studio
The Project’s Budget
Right Clicks
Equipment
Skinning A Kit
Drum Tuning
Bass & Guitar
Vocal Pre-production
Engineering & Recording
Snare, Hats, Toms & Cymbals
Triggers, Samples & Edits
Bass Guitar
Bass Distortion
Recording Metal Guitar
Vocals
Parting Shots
Politics & Production
Comfortable Clicks For Nervous Drummers
Creating Your Own Drum Samples
One Vocalist, Two Mics
Video Interviews

Extreme Metal II:

Time Alignment & Phase
Grouping The Groups
Finely Balanced
Panning & Stereo Width
Equalisation
Filter Away
Intelligent EQ
Where The Meat Is
Compression
Effects
Conclusion
Drum Samples In Metal Mixing
Drum Samples & Side-Chain Gating
Listening Levels & Environment
Master Bus Processing
Listen For Yourself!

I for one found it very interesting, Some great tips on there, like what frequencies to boost and attenuate for different instruments and the whole concept of attenuating certain frequencies to help instruments sit into a mix rather than always boosting them. If you record real drums there was an absolute wealth of knowledge and as you said Jind, it's very handy having it all together in one article.

This was what was covered in both articles combined - tell me one other reference place for this information that does not require hunting and pecking around a bunch of forums or posts? All this in two articles - I call that informational.

Extreme Metal I:

Pre-Production
The Rehearsal Studio
The Project’s Budget
Right Clicks
Equipment
Skinning A Kit
Drum Tuning
Bass & Guitar
Vocal Pre-production
Engineering & Recording
Snare, Hats, Toms & Cymbals
Triggers, Samples & Edits
Bass Guitar
Bass Distortion
Recording Metal Guitar
Vocals
Parting Shots
Politics & Production
Comfortable Clicks For Nervous Drummers
Creating Your Own Drum Samples
One Vocalist, Two Mics
Video Interviews

Extreme Metal II:

Time Alignment & Phase
Grouping The Groups
Finely Balanced
Panning & Stereo Width
Equalisation
Filter Away
Intelligent EQ
Where The Meat Is
Compression
Effects
Conclusion
Drum Samples In Metal Mixing
Drum Samples & Side-Chain Gating
Listening Levels & Environment
Master Bus Processing
Listen For Yourself!

Recording Engineers Handbook
Mix Engineers Handbook
Mixing Audio

or if you want to look around just type about pretty much any of that into the search in Gearslutz.

I for one found it very interesting, Some great tips on there, like what frequencies to boost and attenuate for different instruments and the whole concept of attenuating certain frequencies to help instruments sit into a mix rather than always boosting them.

you seriously never read that before? Not being rude but its in pretty much every other eq tutorial

Click on this and see the first link it throws up

http://tinyurl.com/yju337d

Re-read what I asked. I asked for another concise resource for this information in regards to the production of metal and to be more specific extreme metal. I don't want to search Gearslutz for each item covered. Enjoy yourself. Be my guest.

MrFunk: Interesting concept sir. I recently read Bob Katz's book "Mastering Audio" and found it a great source of knowledge and inspiration. Of course, I already knew about a lot of things that he wrote about since some of it is kind of basic. What he REALLY should have done was perhaps to just release a booklet with some in-depth nuggets that can't be considered general knowledge to an upcoming mastering engineer, together with a link to the Mastering forum on Gearslutz. I mean, why waste time compiling something when people can just do it themselves by reading numerous other books and scouring around on the internet for some months.

MrFunk: Interesting concept sir. I recently read Bob Katz's book "Mastering Audio" and found it a great source of knowledge and inspiration. Of course, I already knew about a lot of things that he wrote about since some of it is kind of basic. What he REALLY should have done was perhaps to just release a booklet with some in-depth nuggets that can't be considered general knowledge to an upcoming mastering engineer, together with a link to the Mastering forum on Gearslutz. I mean, why waste time compiling something when people can just do it themselves by reading numerous other books and scouring around on the internet for some months.

hahahaa

I have to agree with him : I've read some interesting books, but I really think this series of articles is worth the reading. I even bought the pdf versions of both of them for the moment. It emphasizes on metal technique and vibe, and just for that it's gold, and even if one may know almost everything, there are always something to learn, and it is never a bad thing to re-read what you know. I've come to realise a few things reading it, even if I knew it, and learnt a few other things.

you seriously never read that before? Not being rude but its in pretty much every other eq tutorial

Click on this and see the first link it throws up

http://tinyurl.com/yju337d

I've never seen it in an eq tutorial, so It was nice to read it in this magazine. Now that I know about it I can look into it in more detail. It may have taken me a good while before I came across it myself on the net, so I'm glad I read it.

my thoughts exactly.. I've not read the second one yet, not had time to buy the mag - but if it's anything like the first, I'll be disappointed.