Couple of questions about mixing..

Slammer88

May 20, 2010
Izmir, Turkey
Hello there..I want to ask you guys some questions to get better results from my mixes..

1- What is "Parallel Compressing" and how is it done? Btw, i'm using Nuendo 4, can you explain me over this software?

2- Hard Panning is %100 right and left, right? So, how can i hear i.e a left panned guitar at the right with a very "little" and "deep,reverbed" sound?

3- Is there any tricks for making the Double-Tracked Guitars more "huge"? I think i got an issue here..I'm listening so many double-tracked songs, either raw records or famous bands..Regardless of guitarist of the band, guitar sounds come "mono-like" as just only 1 record, and come "stereo-like" as just there are 2 guitarists there..I hope you can understand what i mean, cuz this is the point where my English sucks:oops:

I'll give the example of SOAD's Toxicity album. He was the only guitarist of the band and made 2 separate recordings for each song. There ARE playing mistakes in songs, if you carefully listen, u'll see.. Of course they are not big, only Millisecond-ish mistakes, even so i can hear them..HOWEVER, still all of the songs have this so-called "mono- and stereo-like" feeling!

I hope you can understand and answer my questions :) See you later and thanks in advance..

2- if you pan the guitars 100 % L+R, then run an auxilliary from each channel in a stereo reverb, but keep the reverb low in the mix, so when either guitar cuts out, you'll still hear the low lever channel reverb (a la Slayer - Angel of Death)

3-Check your tone and check your phase

With regards to the SOAD query... he will have double tracked the main rhythms and such and added single tracking on of some of the riffs that you're referring to, but its a case of layering where needed

1 - Parallel Compression is a method where two of the same signal are run side by side (hence the name "parallel") and one of these signals is compressed to shape transients. When the two tracks (or busses) are played in parallel, the sound thickens up. You can use this to add punch to drums. It does take a good knowledge of compression however to effectively use this method. I use parallel compression on my drum tracks and it does sound better (to my ears at least).

well with bass, its kinda like parallel compression if you do what most guys here do, run two of the bass track side by side, one Hi-pass, un compressed and one Lo-Passed with HEAVY compression...

Parallel compression can sometimes work on guitars, but to be honest it's not something I mess with loads. I tend to use it on drums and vocals mainly.